Clattering 200tdi (disco engine in a 90)

The story starts a way back. First we found on the third brake in quick succession the servo assistance had gone. After various checks I lifted the lid on the vacuum pump to find a well worn vain spindle so ordered a new one. In the mean time I noticed it getting clattery then noticed a leak from the bottom of the injection pump. New vac pump arrives and I fit it. Now I have no servo assistance at all the pump is drawing no vacuum at tick over and half of bugger all at elevated revs. So I assume this new one is knackered and noticed a slight miss fire on initial start up but it clears. Today I've changed the vacuum pump it seems to draw better but haven't driven it yet. I've also changed the injection pump but it's still clattery not quite as bad as it was I think but that maybe wish full thinking. The start up miss fire still seems to be there. 

Ideas and suggestions on cause of Clattering (yes I know it's a diesel and they clatter but this is more than normal).

Mike

Right tonight I have changed the vac pump again for a known second hand one whilst the original issue is still there (New servo me thinks) the brakes are back to how they were. 

The clattering is definitely a little quieter but still not right. I've cracked the injectors one by one but no difference. I think the noise is coming from the cam or cam pulley area I guess the timing chest will be coming off soon.

Mike

Well took the timing cover off today. Crank bolt wasn't very tight so after a fight with the crank pulley (had to use a puller all the way off). I found two knackered keys a very worn cam belt crank pulley and a little wear on the crank. I've taken a pulley and keys off another engine and rebuilt with a new cam belt. If it starts rattling again then I'll need a new crank.

Mike

Thing to remember with these engines is that the torque to turn the cambelt-apeocket is transmitted by it being clamped hard between the shoulder on the nose of the crank and the rear of the front vibration-damper/pulley, *not* by the Woodruff-keys.

Same goes for the drive to the oil-pump. It's not the Woodruff-key or the 'flats' on the pump-rotor engaging with the crankshaft, it's the clamped friction between the rotor and the crankshaft-shoulder where the work is done.

Hence the need to torque the crank-pulley-bolt up to a murderously-high level if the clamping is to be consistent and not 'relieve' itself after a few thousand miles. Smart people replace the bolt every time it's off, since they do stretch and you can't get a reliable clamping once they've been pushed past their elastic limit.

• Like 1

Did mine today. I don’t have a big enough torque wrench either so I use a scaffold tune over a breaker bar. The tube is five feet long and I use a spring balance to put 50lbs of pull on it. If my maths is correct that makes 250ft-lbs of torque.

Good tip about replacing the bolt, didn’t realise that could be an issue. Too late this time but I will change it next time I’m in there. Probably due as it’s the fourth time I’ve changed the belt, and it should have been done at least twice before me.