300 tdi low coolant alarm

m1chaelw

I'm wondering if anyone has any up to date information on how to go about this . All the threads I've read have been a good few years old.

Is it still the case of a Range Rover expansion cap with a custom circuit ?

If so now that these circuits have been out there a while , which has worked best .

If someone could point me in the right direction as im not too experienced in electronics

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Mike

I used the Range Rover cap with one of the many published custom designs.  Just modified the design so that it didn't alarm on bumps.  Didn't fancy drilling into the expansion tank to insert the screws.

The Bearmach cap and float switch that I bought contained nothing more complex than a magnet and reed switch, one relay and buzzer later and it was all done.

I've never seen the original RRC 'switch' dissected and cant see any reason why the original switch would be more complex.

3 hours ago, m1chaelw said:

Thanks for the replys guys , appreciate it

has anyone got the original wiring diagram ?  All the images have gone on the threads ive found . 

Closest one I've found is :

https://www.landroverexpedition.com/technical/300tdi-low-coolant-alarm/

This has worked well for me in the last 5 years. It comes on when I brake hard so I know it's still working :D

The G5V relays in the landroverexpedition link have a very low current coil, it might very well work fine run direct from the sensor without the transistor. If I remember rightly, the LR cap has a resistor in series with the reed relay in the cap. I can't remember the resistance though - will have to dig back in my notes.

EDIT : Dug through the debris of my old website, the LR sensor cap PRC7925 has a resistor of about 680 ohms in series with the reed switch, so even the little G5V relay will probably not operate reliably without the buffer transistor.

I've made a few solid state (ie no relay) ones for people over the years. The first one is more than 10 years old, and was working perfectly this morning when my radiator sprang a leak :) 

My expansion tank is mounted sideways, so it doesn't flicker on braking, but it does on enthusiastic cornering!

I'll have to make another at some point for the new Ibex build, I think this time it needs a small time delay to stop the flicker, and a flasher for the warning light.

Edited by TSD

There is no such series resistor in the Bearmach cap that I purchased a couple of years ago and it switches a relay with no problem. It is of course N/C when the coolant is present and as such it requires the condition inverting to sound an alarm.

Where is the 680R resistor in the original cap (if it exists) ?

I just used the cap and relay, no fancy circuit.

just make sure you get a relay with an 87a contact which is normally closed with no power to it such as this one.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7826950/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Relays-_-General_Purpose_Relays-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6NKQ_byz1wIVjpztCh1DzwBWEAQYASABEgKwbPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

15 hours ago, m1chaelw said:

Thanks for the replys guys , appreciate it

has anyone got the original wiring diagram ?  All the images have gone on the threads ive found . 

Closest one I've found is :

Yes I have a copy of the one made for Difflock

3 hours ago, GW8IZR said:

Where is the 680R resistor in the original cap (if it exists) ?

It doesn't take much to imagine where it could be (and only a little more to think why it might be there)

genparts.jpg.6e260cc9aeb508a2fab6ac123228e16a.jpg

Gen parts VDO cap measured this morning. You can make out the LR oval embossed on the top. Sorry for the bad photography, but that says 0.682 kOhms

patpart.thumb.jpg.998f312e92b9545e0a26508d16a7bc66.jpg

Brand new bearmach copy. Approx 4.6 Ohms.

You'll have to excuse the chinese test leads Paul, but they only added about 0.35 Ohms error.

caltest.jpg.c611ceaf7897548acb9e3208a14d4f85.jpg

So perhaps one of those rare cases of pattern parts not made to drawing? :ph34r:

For sure, I'm asking where it is located to determine whether it could be bi-passed, none of the after market designs appear to use the eol detection or current limiting properties of that resistor.. its just an inconvenience to anyone doing a simple alert.

2 hours ago, mmgemini said:

Yes I have a copy of the one made for Difflock

Brilliant , will be interested to take a peak at this if you could post it up :) 

Interesting to read about the copied caps showing different resistance , need to check which one I've ordered   

Sorry to sound like a muppet here , first time I've done anything like this .

I see on the shopping list on this link an in line fuse holder . Is this so you can tap in to the 12v ignition circuit without using an already fused point if that makes sense ? 

I have the same module as mmgemini, it works very well, I have the modules green led for all correct & on my td5 warning light panel used the 'fuel in water' led for a low coolant level, so its fail safe. IIRC my wiring diagram is near the end of the difflock thread & its on this forum too.