New Defender

If a dealer is describing it as rough around the edges, I can only imagine what it looks like up close :)

That aside, it is a van back, no station wagon, low spec by the looks of things, but if it is OK for you then go for it.

I did think that myself Retroanaconda !

Also is it better to look at the vans or station wagon ? I’m not fussed about the amount of seating ! Is it better to look at station wagons as they won’t have been worked as hard ? 

Am I better just looking for galv chassis as I am getting paranoid about missing something when looking at a vehicle due to a lack of knowledge ! 

At the investment you are proposing I would definitely be looking for galv. chassis  fitted already and including 200Tdi in the search and maybe even unfinished projects with a galv. chassis - if it's appropriate to your needs.

There are good defenders out there to take custodianship of ..often found by word of mouth , this one may well be worth an AA check with specific areas of attention .

As a point of reference a friend is picking up in the next few days  a 110 commercial station wagon with a galv. chassis 300 Tdi and external cage plus other mods for £6.5K and quite tidy too.

I can confirm that old wives tale of patience is a virtue is true , as is buy in haste and repent at your leisure ....personal experience ;)

Lastly I'd suggest going to look at local deals just to familiarise yourself with problem areas - the more you look at , the less tint in your vision .

good luck and keep us all informed

cheers

Steve b

• Thanks 1

Doesn't look to bad, just from some observations with this age of vehicle irrespective of mileage, the rear cross-members seem to get a bit thin and you get corrosion and the turn of the footwell areas near the door catch bracket, price wise for a van I think it probably looks not bad.

Ask for some pictures of the door bottoms, I've seen a handful of doors that look perfect from the outside but are about to collapse due to the internal frame rusting.

Body cappings go on this age of vehicle too, it could be just the photo but the drivers side capping looks like it be a slightly different blue colour which tells be its been repaired/covered up.

Have a look at the 02 td5 van I did up a few years ago... give you some ides of what goes on them, that was a fairly abuse less vehicle with 80k on the clock.

• Thanks 1

If your doing the work your self not a lot , dearest bits is probably the seat belts approx £100 , discs £40 , rear wheel bearing £10 but you might be able to adjust this to take out the play  ,  but as you need to replace the discs I'd replace the bearings both sides , new bush a few quid . Oil leak ( they all leak its a requirement I'm told :D ) needs investigation as to were its coming from price for that depends on what's leaking . She looks very tidy and worth a look .

cheers Ian

• Thanks 1