Defender TD5 heated rear window

Good evening everyone, thanks for your help and advice so far. Slowly working my way down the snagging list.

Next problem! Rear heated window, switch on, light appears on dash telling you it thinks it’s on, however rear window doesn’t heat up.

Any ideas?

FF

If you have the raised rear brake light in the rear window it usually rubs it's way through the conductive material under it...

Remove the brake light (if fitted) and check the metal strips for continuity. 

If that's good, and you are getting 12 volts to the back of the truck ok, then check the smaller wires as suggested above.

Just looking at the wiring diags, if the light is on,I think it'll be fed through a relay and a fuse. If you get hold of the relevant wiring diagram manual you'll be able to track it through, and worth checking the negative side is actually connected to something . The joins etc are indicated on the diagrams, and if you refer to the electrical library manual it'll show you actual physical thing and location. If you don't have one, a  multimeter is a good investment, though beware, sometimes they will show voltage is present when it is only until you try to draw current (because of a poor contact)

1 hour ago, oneandtwo said:

You can use a multimeter directly on the element to check for volts and continuity. I had to do it on my Puma where the rear brake light cover cut through the feed - as above this is a common problem 

Likewise, on a (then) three year old with 21k on the clock.  Same door and window as the later TD5s.  Evidently a design or production flaw.