Lift kits - which make?

I'm looking at lift kits for my Puma, to compensate for occasional loads/winch about to be fitted, and to provide clearance for large tyres. +2" all around is somewhere around where I want to be, with a winch and Brownchurch roof rack fitted all the time, usually 2 people plus a bit of stuff, sometimes 5 people, rarely is it loaded to the roof. Don't want super hard/heavy duty as the roads are rough, so probably light/medium load type.

Looking at the options I wondered if there was much to choose between the manufacturers - e.g. on the First Four site there is a good selection

Terrafirma https://www.firstfour.co.uk/medium-load-50mm-suspension-lift-kit-for-def110-130.html

Bearmach/Pro Comp https://www.firstfour.co.uk/bearmach-pro-comp-defender-110-plus-2.html

Britpart :ph34r:https://www.firstfour.co.uk/britpart-super-gaz-suspension-lift-kit-for-def-110-to-wa15980-plus-40mm.html

Due to lots of use on gravel roads, my general preference is for dampers with a solid boot rather than the flexi boots which will get chewed up.

Anybody got any views on the relative merits of the manufacturers? Out of the F4 options, I was probably leaning towards the Terrafirma one, but I don't want saggy springs in a couple of years and I've no idea what any of them are like. Also would want something that uses standard readily available bushes on the dampers.

Also looking at local suppliers to see what is available here and now so might ask for views on other options depending on what is available.

My existing Tdi 110 has genuine parts all round, with a set of spring spacers under the rear springs, and 90 rear springs on the front (same as on a 130) and sits nicely, so that is the other option, the only downside is that the rear dampers top out a bit when you are pressing on over rough ground.

Hi, I have just fitted Old Man Emu springs and shocks to my Tdi110, to replace the exact same, older ones I fitted 14 years ago. I find them to be excellent and give good service. The old springs, when removed, were the same free height as the new ones but now the vehicle sits noticeably taller, especially at the front and the ride is much better due to the new shocks and bushes. I used rear springs 2755 and front 2751 which is medium duty and it sounds like you have a similar setup to mine. I would recommend these. The shocks were the sport ones, part numbers ending in 37&39, however, they have plastic boots but the older metal type are still available. They were from island 4x4. The ride is firm and positive without being stiff and would give the required lift over the originals. I know they're not cheap but I believe they are worth it in the long run.

I have only used this make and genuine original ones and have no experience of other makes. 

Try giving Gwyn Lewis a ring. 

I have just had the challenge kit with approx 2 inch lift fitted to my 90. Rides very nice. He takes the time to ask what you use the vehicle for and what weight you will carry in it to give the best recommendation of springs and dampers. No link to him other than a happy customer.

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/the-challenge-kit-pricing/

cheers 

Sean

I've got the terrafirma medium load +50mm on the White 90. Been on for 3years, performance wise they seem to be fine, it'll absorb speed  bumps and potholes with relative ease. I've got winch/bumper and a load of heavy sound deadening, carries 3-4 people most trips and tows fine. With the horse box and flatbed it sits as it should with the hitch in its lowest setting. Handling wise? It's a 90 on 265s with no anti-roll bars, although fully polybushed and it's as expected. It won't set a lap time but it's stable and predictable.

Biggest gripe is finish. Within a year the springs looked decidedly ropey, the shocks with plastic dust shields are holding up better though. According to terrafirmas catalogue they are now guaranteeing the powder coat on the springs for 2 years so it must've been a common complaint.

I am however looking at OME for the td5 rebuild, although there are some good reviews on the Koni HD and Blistein kits.

Bearmach have a new range of gas shocks which come with a 3 year guarantee. They look very well made (possibly re-badges Monroe's who also happen to make OME shocks). I can't tell you what they ride like yet though - fitting them is next week's job.The Bearmach blue springs are also pretty good but to get a comfortable ride you need to be carrying weight as the spring rates are quite high.

For springs have you considered genuine HD? A lift kit in itself doesn't guarantee better load carrying capacity, for that you need details such as the spring rates and free lengths.  

I would avoid Terrafirma, I had one of their lift kits on my old D2, the springs sagged within 6 months and the powder coating is really poor. The shocks seemed ok though.

Terrafirma shocks aren't great long term on rough gravel roads, I'd be happier with procomp or even Britpart if they are decently cheaper as there ain't much difference. 

I think even the standard oil filled Armstrong shocks outlast Terrafirma in my experience. 

I recently fitted a set of Monroe gas magnum shocks to my 110 in Namibia - they lasted a grand total of 3 days before the oil burst out! 

Koni or OME next time. 

Edited by Eightpot

Thanks all. The Britpart +2" kit is available locally and I was talking to somebody I know this evening and discovered he's had it on his 110 for about 3 years, no issues and is still pleased with it, so I think that's probably what I will get rather than wait a few months.