Egr removal

DiscoHere

Hi all 

Looking for a bit of advice here.  I want to remove the EGR system from my 2003 Disco TD5.  What problems am i about to encounter and what would you advise is the best way to do it.  Do i need to remove everything or just insert a blank plate to prevent the exhaust gases from entering the system

Hugh 

Technically just blanking the exhaust part would do the trick, but I'm not sure if that is possible and leaving the system in place.... There is a new set of MOT regs coming out and it covers emission bypasses, I don't know if that will include EGR's... So the more normal it looks, the less likely you are to have trouble.

When I did my TD6 Range Rover L322 I used a bypass that left all the other pipes in their original place, so at a glance it still looked normal.

So I think if it was me I'd be looking to just insert a blank into the exhaust and not remove any of the pipe work!

Technically you wont get as much free flow air as one of the bypass kits, but you wont get any less than standard, and it will be clean!

Why remove it?  Why not just take it of for cleaning and refit it?  The valve closes at high throttle settings, so performance is not going to improve, and I'd be surprised if you see any change in fuel economy.  I would expect that EU law will soon require any vehicle built with EGR to have it operating - the rules are tightening up a lot on diesels at the moment, s removing it could cause trouble further down the line.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Why remove it?

Light hearted answer: It offends me to put exhaust gas back in the engine... :D  After all that effort getting cooled, clean air into the inlet, to then mix it with hot, oily, smokey air just seems wrong.

One plan would be to block the EGR pipe at the exhaust manifold, but leave it in place (a little bit of stainless, cut to shape and trapped by the existing pipe, with exhaust paste should do it), and then replace the valve block at the inlet end with one of those bypass kits, leaving all of the pipework and EGR cooler in place. To a casual look it will appear that all is still intact under the sound deadening cover, and if on further examination one gets an MoT fail, one could refit the valve block and submit it for retesting. If one has to to refit the valve block then one will have wasted what? £25? on a kit, but I seriously doubt that that will happen.... Allegedly... :D

• Like 1

I'd have the egr off and clean it up (Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner is fab!) Block the exhaust manifold end of the pipe, but refit it and leave the rest alone. So what if it's opening and closing, there wont be any of that nasty exhaust gas getting in to the engine... As far as I know BMW don't monitor the EGR's performance, so it shouldn't throw up a fault or a light on the dash... well it didn't on my Range Rover, that really liked to light up the dash and shout at you if it wasn't happy!

If you're that worried about the valves operation then do as Ally V8 said and insert a ball bearing into the vacuum pipe to block it. But once you blocked the exhaust take off....

I have always removed as much as possible, including the valve and even the cooler and solenoids. Main thing is to avoid exhaust gas in the inlet, so blanking that will suffice. I wouldn't trust just blanking the feed to the valve, it can fail in an open state due to crud etc. It's not much work to remove/replace everything, and if you want to improve, why not go all the way? Saves a bit of weight as well. ;)

The main reason for leaving it all in place, but not working, is to ensure you don't fall foul of the new MOT regulations, until they come into force later this year none of us quite know the implications of removing the EGR system... better to leave it all in place and neutralise it than run the risk of MOT refusal... It could be nothing and we'll all get away with it, but then again if they are looking to remove as many Diesels from the road as possible, I rather get the feeling that it might be strictly enforced.....