RRC door trim

KrisDR

The door trim on my 2d RRC isn't in the best of shapes. Not totally shabby but not good enough. I've got a few options to make it all better:

• Buy the Rimmers panels (North of 300£ including the rear quarter panels)
  • Buy vinyl and re-cover myself. Looking at the way it was done originally, it shouldn't be difficult to reach the same quality level. I would have to cut out the pressed wood panel to replace the original cardboard (or whatever it is).
  • Hand them over to trimmer (locally or NationWide as was suggested).

Option 2 is tempting, not sure if I could source the sorrel brown vinyl though. Anybody ever done this?

Cheers

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-29 om 12.49.06.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-29 om 12.50.08.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-29 om 12.50.37.png

Edited by KrisDR

Not a very popular theme it seems:wacko:

I found a fourth option namely covering the panels with leather. The leather I found is a perfect match. Two problems though. The car was never equipped with leather on the door panels and it might be difficult to fix the door lock button frame due to the thickness of the leather. Still pondering. 

9EEA33B3-BA4B-487D-9C32-C112839AE8ED.jpeg

That's a lovely match. I'm mulling over the same issue. For me the original material while very practical, is absolutely horrible. CSK never intended the RR to be a luxury vehicle so that's my conflict with my instinct to just change out the original material. Your door cards are later than mine and so a nicer colour [and probably match the rest of the interior better[. The early cars had a strange mix of colours inside.

Oh and I'd say this is a quiet topic because few will have changed their door card material, and no one can really make the decision for you anyway :)

Personally, I would go with the leather option, or a good quality leatherette than might be harder wearing, and have it done by a local trimmer.

I was think of putting carpet on the lower panel, like the CSK version, just as it’s easily kicked on exiting and it would make it more resistant to scuffs/knocks.

For the lock mechanisms, you should be ok, as these are the same as Defender models and they cope ok with the various retrims in leather that the later 90’s & 110’s have had done.

vehicle_ad_standard_image_dd8ad1aff6a27a

Edited by SteveG

On 2-2-2018 at 12:29 PM, SteveG said:

Personally, I would go with the leather option, or a good quality leatherette than might be harder wearing, and have it done by a local trimmer.

I was think of putting carpet on the lower panel, like the CSK version, just as it’s easily kicked on exiting and it would make it more resistant to scuffs/knocks.

For the lock mechanisms, you should be ok, as these are the same as Defender models and they cope ok with the various retrims in leather that the later 90’s & 110’s have had done.

vehicle_ad_standard_image_dd8ad1aff6a27a

I've been binge watching a number of YT videos on how to put leather or vinyl on panels and, may the Lord help me :lol:, dashboards. I might just do a testrun first with some vinyl I still have lying around.

Edited by KrisDR

Ive retrimmed a few, in leather and pvc.  Easy enough, just takes a bit of time and patience to get nice. 

Hardboard for the backing, plenty of spray glue, hot glue gun to hold down the folded edge on the back, clean hands, sharp scalpel. 

• 4 weeks later...

Almost done with making the door panels. As mentioned this does take a fair amount of time not in the least since I first did a test run with some leftovers. I decided to go with vinyl in the end. The search for a good match was long though. Quite a few of the retaining clips were broken and I had to order some 20 clips at one quid a piece 😱. Very happy with the result, I used 6mm staples and dedicated soft vinyl glue (Saba Sabacontact 70T). 

The rear panels will also be covered with the same vinyl but here I will first try to source good spray glue. 

320A93D0-799F-4351-9437-9D2B7A7FA8CF.jpeg

8FA36D38-88C6-4DBB-A795-F88631B9AC06.jpeg

• 1 year later...

After a year long RRC sabbatical I have picked-up things again. Finished the rear panels, covered them with the same vinyl which is practically identical to the one used at the factory. It seems a straightforward job but the corners are difficult. For me the key is to glue (spray glue 08080 from 3M) larger parts and let it dry before starting on the corners. It takes time but the result is pretty much ok.

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-13 om 19.32.52.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-13 om 19.32.41.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, I will have mine to do at some point, .... not too worried about originality, I will probably opt for the leather when the time comes. Interested to see the carpet combo, how does that top panel cover the ridge I wonder?  Good work there, on yours, that will look great fitted. Those plastic clips, there has to be a better way....