Just now, Bowie69 said:

And LGT.... For 3 minutes. 

Of course.......

How could I forget.....

Look at the havoc and mayhem those three minutes have cost .......lol, never mind the drain on my pocket...

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 3

Auto, you won't regret it - with the portals and diff locks, tyres, a torquey V8 and suspension travel it really does round it off 

Just for reference, since you opened your van back doors in my yard  I have not looked at Lexus V8's for sale at all , well not much............or V8 TLC's at all........

Steve

• Haha 4

I'm biased as I do prefer manuals but if you make an adaptor for a short LT77 assuming you have one in stock you know you can always upgrade it to a stumpy R380 as a bolt in exercise should you feel the need.

1 minute ago, muddy said:

I'm biased as I do prefer manuals but if you make an adaptor for a short LT77 assuming you have one in stock you know you can always upgrade it to a stumpy R380 as a bolt in exercise should you feel the need.

This makes a lot of sense as I have 2 x short LT77 Boxes

Regards Stephen 

That would be my personal route, landrover gearboxs seem to have a bad rep but you do actually have to try a little bit to kill them unlike the diffs/shafts. Biggest drawback of the LT77 is perhaps a weak reverse often caused by over enthusiastic reverse light switch adjustment causing poor mesh.

16 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Ha, you knew what you were doing..........giving me a drive of that infernal machine of yours.......lol

Regards Stephen 

Good thing you didn't drive mine, or you'd be putting leather seats and air suspension in Sid :ph34r:

13 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

R380 + 1.003:1 LT230, my axles are 5.99:1 overall ratio and the tyres are ~36" (they claim to be 37's).

If we're having the bun-fight over gearboxes my reasoning was that manuals are more "survivable", they can live with problems or abuse and be bodged in the field or nursed home, whereas autos rely on everything being just right or they won't play. Wrong oil, not enough oil, no oil, dirty oil, oil too hot = you're dead.

Plus it's one less cooler to plumb in, no kickdown to set up etc. and there's a big stick that lets me choose exactly what is going on.

There's definitely something to be said for that. The later electronic boxes are a bit less black magic, but still heavily rely on the oil being not chocolate milk.

A manual you flush out and it'll be good for another 100k.

• Like 1

Lifting operations 

20230730_163455.thumb.jpg.52b2fe4eac38d9da3d3ffb5a01b495c7.jpg

20230730_163749.thumb.jpg.47386b70654479d534dc9763b6f18684.jpg

dont worry  @Ed Poore its really just to get it out of the way at the moment, I'm not racing you...honest...

Will most likely strip some unwanted bits off ie; cut off hoses, air conditioning pump etc

I suppose its also in a good position to strip off viscose coupling and get some decent measurements for the adapter I will be manufacturing 

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

dont worry  @Ed Poore its really just to get it out of the way at the moment, I'm not racing you...honest

It's not a race, you'll beat me. Benefit of grown up children rather than bratty little ones.

Any bits you strip off I'd potentially be interested in.

19 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

It's not a race, you'll beat me. Benefit of grown up children rather than bratty little ones.

Any bits you strip off I'd potentially be interested in.

Anything I don't need you can have

Regards Stephen 

Well at least it won't rust now... 

It'll probably free up more space than benefit it'd provide but the aircon pumps make fantastic air compressors if you lubricate them. I miss having that setup on my 110, hence why I'd be interested in having a spare pump as I'll probably convert it for on board air before aircon.

Just now, Stellaghost said:

On an initial look see and putting a short Lt77 bell housing up against engine, things don't look too far away, should be relatively straightforward  to knock up an adapter20230730_171511.thumb.jpg.14ca759b092c93a2eaedb0c034b14792.jpg

20230730_171519.thumb.jpg.7aba68590072971b0ae644deb0b65bf9.jpg

20230730_171538.thumb.jpg.6c8bc1c0f8ddae778a411dfc9589b1fa.jpg

regards Stephen 

Just be careful of the starter motor - I'll take a piccy if I can get to it of the A340 bell housing to see if it's got a recess for the gear to spin out an engage.

Or I could look through my notes to see which wires are the ones to spin it over. From memory it's one of the large black ones down the passenger side of the engine is the main feed. One of the earth's is on the drivers side and a second one I think on the passenger side engine mount.

Can't remember which one is the solenoid wire though.