Good dust mask ?

mad_pete

Working on the wheel arches is kicking up a lot of dust.  What’s a good dust mask for landy work ? Looking for something comfortable and reasonably good at blocking things my lungs aren’t as keen on breathing mud as they once were. :-)

After trying a bunch at various prices, the best one I’ve found is the 3M flexible mask...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-7502-Medium-Reusable-Half-Mask/dp/B00FYNN5J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523811575&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+7502+mask

Once the mask is bought, the dust filters work out about £8 a pair...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-3M-6000-Particulate-Filters/dp/B00SOKSH0I/ref=pd_sbs_328_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WKKEKP73MCYXCMMYW7C6

The fit is really good, and you can easily drop the mask down around your neck when not needed. 

You can also fit A1 or A2 filters if painting, working with chemicals. I ended up getting two in the medium size and having one set up as dust and one as paint/chemicals. 

cheers, Steve 

• 3 months later...

Thanks, I have gone and got two and they are are nice. What eye protection do you use with them and how do you store them please? It seems to push up my safety glasses more than I would like and can you just hang them in the garage or should they be in a box ?

Personally, I use these goggles with the masks as they fit well...

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80545

For cutting, grinding and linishing etc. I use one of these face masks that naturally work well with the dust mask...

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53860

The dust masks I don’t bother to store them, for the paint masks they do recommend storing them in a bag or sealed box to make them last longer. I’ve been doing so much painting lately I don’t bother to store and personally I haven’t noticed any difference in longevity, but I suspect it’s best to bag etc..

cheers, Steve 

I use a 3M mask too [a little different model but quality none the less]. For eye protection you really can't get better than the full face mask and they're especially good when you're grinding overhead or using a knotted wire brush that's starting to disintegrate and piercing your face with wire projectile. Trouble is if you're alternating between welding and grinding it's a bit of a problem so regardless of what else I'm wearing I'm usually wearing a pair of glasses underneath very like the ones below. They're incredibly scratch resistant, flexible and hardy. They're comfy, lightweight and they sit on/behind the 3M mask and ear defenders well. The latter can make the wrong safety glasses painfully uncomfortable. You have to be careful to always look directly at whatever you're grinding with them otherwise you're in danger of something getting under them, but I find them great. Can get back to you with the brand of mine tomorrow if you like.

125033.jpg

Edited by Shackleton

@Shackleton. "You have to be careful to always look directly at whatever you're grinding". Better than nothing I suppose, but my experience has been that if something can round them, it will. For heavy grinding nothing is better really than the fully enclosed goggles with vent holes - material from grinding can and does go everywhere, ricocheting off any available surface - I've had stuff go up and under full face shields before, so even those aren't total protection. BTW talking about grinding try the soft start de walt angle grinders - at 1010watts theyre a powerful smooth running tool. I've just replaced an old grinder with one and love it.

Edited by joe1
typo

17 hours ago, joe1 said:

@Shackleton. "You have to be careful to always look directly at whatever you're grinding". Better than nothing I suppose, but my experience has been that if something can round them, it will. For heavy grinding nothing is better really than the fully enclosed goggles with vent holes - material from grinding can and does go everywhere, ricocheting off any available surface - I've had stuff go up and under full face shields before, so even those aren't total protection. BTW talking about grinding try the soft start de walt angle grinders - at 1010watts theyre a powerful smooth running tool. I've just replaced an old grinder with one and love it. 

Echo that. In ~10 years of machining and messing about with cars, I've had more stuff in my eyes that's bounced into face shields and glasses than I've had stuff hit me without using any protection. It will find a way in, just got to minimise it with stuff like the sealed goggles.

• Like 1