Auxilliary Fan size

About 16" is the usual, but size isn't everything - some fans move more air then others, and cowling etc. makes  a big difference.

As timc says - if it's a 200TDi it shouldn't need much cooling, if it does there might be some other problem. Hell, my 4.6 V8 only uses one of its two 12" fans 99.9% of the time.

Freelander twin fans work nicely on a Defender rad if you haven't got an intercooler.

Don't buy a Kenlowe, the fans are expensive for what they are and the stats don't survive first contact with moisture.

Also, a mob armed with pitchforks will be along shortly for the big internet holy war of electric fan Vs engine-driven fan, just to make you aware. :lol:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Also, a mob armed with pitchforks will be along shortly for the big internet holy war of electric fan Vs engine-driven fan, just to make you aware. :lol:

OI! :lol:

Wot 'e said...

I have an aftermarket fan on my 200Tdi (in a 109, so normal fan wouldn't fit.  I think it's 14", if memory serves correctly, controlled by the very practical and reliable X-Eng X-Fan.  It does the trick well enough, only running a short time whenever activated in hot conditions in the mountains (thin air makes the rad less effective, as well as the slopes working the engine hard).  It has a small integral shroud which also acts as a mounting ring, with clip on feet which a screwed into the rad frame.  I don't like the idea of those zip-ties through the rad, or having the cowl/ring in direct contact with the coolant tubes.

I can't remember where I got it, but there is a photo on this page which may help you identify the type and see what I meant about the integral shroud and mountings: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/engine-ancilliaries/

It's a 2.5n/a 

when we had the hottest day in May I watched the temperature lift towards the red fairly quickly. I was motorway driving and up a steep long hill. Although it never reached the red I thought I would fit a fan for peace of mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 14Platoon said:

when we had the hottest day in May I watched the temperature lift towards the red fairly quickly. I was motorway driving and up a steep long hill. Although it never reached the red I thought I would fit a fan for peace of mind. 

So is your standard fan not working, radiator clogged, thermostat dodgy or what? Because a standard vehicle should not overheat - fitting an extra fan might just mask a simple problem that you're better off fixing 1st.

• Like 1

^^^WHS.  my old 2.5 na never got hot, well only when the rad sprung a leak. The na rad is huuge! As it's full width. Start with rad flush. Temp going up with forward motion is indicative of a blocked rad / stat. Ramming the air thro it at 55mph should be ample cooling. "Huston! We have a problem!

ps. Don't have a trendy 'rad muff' fitted do you? Took mine off months ago.

Edited by Yostumpy

My 12J would get hot under those circumstances in the 109 until I fitted a bigger exhaust; the 2.25 exhaust wasn't wide enough and strangled the engine.  As soon as the new exhaust went on, the problem disappeared.  So, it might be a problem with your exhaust, not the cooling system, so check both.  But the standard set up should be more than enough if in good order.

Hmm

it didn't leap up to the red but did rise up to it, up the very steep long hill. It settled down a bit after the hill but was still nearing the last portion of the white, albeit still in the white. 

I don't have much faith in the gauges to be honest but a rad flush, reverse hose of it would make sense. 

1 hour ago, Yostumpy said:

^^^WHS.  my old 2.5 na never got hot, well only when the rad sprung a leak. The na rad is huuge! As it's full width. Start with rad flush. Temp going up with forward motion is indicative of a blocked rad / stat. Ramming the air thro it at 55mph should be ample cooling. "Huston! We have a problem!

ps. Don't have a trendy 'rad muff' fitted do you? Took mine off months ago.

Nope no rad muff 

Just pitching in with my 2.5na temp pattern. I did. Thermostat change at the start of the year as someone on here suggested my thermostat was maybe jammed open. After a saga with a snapped bolt in the thermostat housing 🙄 the new 88 thermo went in. So from my temp gauge only just getting onto the dial before, it now sits just before half way. If I’m going at warp speed (55mph) it goes up to a smidge before halfway. I know the gauges aren’t too accurate but heading up towards the red I’d get things checked out 👍

• Like 1

I have an electric fan on the 110 (disco 200tdi) it's on a manual switch. The only time I need it is when towing but I wouldn't be without a fan. On the ibex I've drilled and tapped the thermostat housing for a temperature switch.

20170412_184837.thumb.jpg.1ae00e0914347c2f7d981099d80cb6b6.jpg

This seems to work really well (only driven it a few times as it's not registered yet). However I do need to change it for a higher temperature range as it cuts in to early.

Mike

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 14Platoon said:

Hmm

it didn't leap up to the red but did rise up to it, up the very steep long hill. It settled down a bit after the hill but was still nearing the last portion of the white, albeit still in the white. 

Same as mine.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 14Platoon said:

Are you still in Dubai? If so then yours is probably doing ok in that heat. 

I am, but the Rovers are still in the UK - can't have RHD vehicles registered here, so they'd be limited to a six month carnet.  Most LRs do fine here in standard form.  We did have one member of the local group struggle to understand his Defender's overheating issues, especially in the desert, but he refused to believe it was anything to do with him removing the fan "because some guys on the internet say Land Rovers are overcooled and don't need fans"...:rolleyes:

• Like 2