Build or buy? 30t Press

Blanco

Well the time was when I would have sorted through the scrap pile for the steel and popped down the lane about 3k to the local scrappy for a suitable ram, maybe spent out on a pump and and a suitable hose.......... fact is I cashed in the scrap pile when I left France, and buying new steel in Ireland is not cheap, so after much debate I finally found this; it carries an Italian name but is made in one of China's foremost centres of industry and for 249 €uros I think it is good value........

20180725_180539.thumb.jpg.b65120fffeb0b97f2e359a36f92c349b.jpg

Basic? yes certainly.... but it it saved me (at least) a day, more probably two,   pfaffing making something and was promptly 'pressed' into service fittting radius arm bushes on the P38.

It will also lend itself to little mods like this;

one of many utube examples

All in all I'm quite chuffed with the value.

The guage would be nice but the model with the guage was more than twice the price, (probably really was made in Italy) so I decided against it. The jack seems to work full stroke and no sign of being short of oil. I worry about the quality of the jack ultimately, but for now it works well enough.

I saw a website once where someone had drilled the side of the jack base casting and tapped in a pressure gauge, I decided I was going to do it myself but never got around to it. It would be handy as sometimes your merrily pumping away on the handle and something shoots out to the side at some force, the pressure gauge would give a bit of warning. 

I've got one similar, very handy.

Mine is 20t, and have considered swapping the hand jack for a pneumatic one for about £50, saves the faf when trying to work one handed and other hand steady a stack of old bearing races I use as guides or presses.

I normally split the old bearing races and use the inner and outer races.  Work well when pressing in New bearing races such as wheel bearings because they are split they are just undersize

That's a good dodge, the old inner and outers. I was lucky with the bushes that I had a socket that was spot on, I have no recollection what the 1 13/16ths was for originally, must have been some flange bolts or a gearbox I suppose. 

We have the 20ton model and had a similar one before. Does the job, but could do with some extra strengthening. The old one ended up a bit bent, and the new one is going the same way (also after doing some bushes on a P38). Nothing a few bits of well placed angle iron can't fix, still very good value for money IMHO.

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, Cynic-al said:

I saw a website once where someone had drilled the side of the jack base casting and tapped in a pressure gauge, I decided I was going to do it myself but never got around to it. It would be handy as sometimes your merrily pumping away on the handle and something shoots out to the side at some force, the pressure gauge would give a bit of warning. 

I've done this pretty easy really... and then proptly upgraded the jack I use and just made do not knowing...

In fact here is a picture of it...

Since building it, its been used numerous times and I've actually deformed the top section slightly as its now got a nice 20t jack in there, I'll get around to stiffening it up at some point.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:32 AM, Escape said:

We have the 20ton model and had a similar one before. Does the job, but could do with some extra strengthening. The old one ended up a bit bent, and the new one is going the same way (also after doing some bushes on a P38). Nothing a few bits of well placed angle iron can't fix, still very good value for money IMHO.

Bit late to the party but I have the 10 ton one & that's done the same.

Also worth drilling the bottom plate of the jack & the base it sits on & fitting a couple of bolts to hold them together so it can't spit the jack out.