Show me your switches!

bishbosh

I have recently acquired a 1999 D2 and am prepping her for green laning and such like. 

Having never had a Disco before I am looking for ideas for mounting a winch isolating switch  (simple on/off switch to activate an allbright relay)  and winch in/out switch.

So, what have you done and would you do it again? Pictures please!

20 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Carling Contura for me every time.

I have to say, I am constantly disappointed by Carling switches, they feel cheap, lightweight and unfinished around the edges, but maybe that is just me.

Bish, looks to me like in front of the transfer lever would work? to  Fit a small switch pod so they face up towards you.

Or, trying to find a switch pod as an example, this popped up: 

http://fourby.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-Switch-Panel

There are a lot of Carling Contura II lookalikes on eblag. From what I have heard they are lacking in feel and finish.

I used a 300Tdi Disco 1 sunroof switch for winch in/out on my 90. It's the same as a lecky window switches, and used on a Defender so blends in nicely. It just has a different legend in the form of two arrows.

image.png.f05a9b2afdd21c4f1e22840f157a4ca0.png

Thanks chaps.

I had considered re-purposing the sunroof switches as mine are staying shut in the vain hope they wont leak any more than the do! :D Just a bit unsure having the winch switches up high.

Any pics of installed switches in your D2's folks?

Window switches work nicely for a winch. If you need multiple switchers, I'd go with the Carling series. Never found anything wrong with the quality.

For a winch isolation switch, I prefer a big mechanical one to cut the 12V feed, instead of a relay. There's always a chance it sticks or fails.

For big mechanical switches you can't beat the offerings from Blue Sea Systems.

For winch in / out I used a carling MOM-OFF-MOM as it matched the others I already had installed, but I'm sure there are nicer ones out there, possibly like the metal toggle switch type that you find in a wired winch remote, they are a little more tactile.

B001Q399RA.03.lg.jpg