Overland caravan build

57 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Not with current fuel prices, don't forget the ibex is my sensible car. :blink:

Mike

You're realise you're talking to someone who's sensible car is a toss up between a very similar vehicle in the Defender or a 4.4 litre twin turbo V8 Range Rover. Admittedly the bigger engine in the Range Rover is more economical can be more economical.

Door out today, it was a case of cutting then breaking the seal around the frame. As with most of the box it's only glued in so it was relatively straight forward.

IMG_20230527_101731.thumb.jpg.7585d9624a6133cf47dac221371b28ca.jpg

Out

IMG_20230527_103411.thumb.jpg.705f957c26ebc23acc94de62d9b5671f.jpg

Once it was out I could work out the new position. This is where it went side ways the internal layout means there's a specific measurement of where the door has to go. Two things have messed with this first I had to make the wheelarch fatter because it was to deep and narrow to get in there to lay it up. Second we've been caught out with some of the wall thicknesses, the roof for instance is only 25mm. Likewise the front is 77mm not the 56mm we thought. So the layout has had to change again because to meet the measurement it shoved the door up by 100mm in order to clear the wheelarch. Layout changed (back to one of the original designs) meant the door can go forward 70mm allowing it to return to the same height it was at originally.

IMG_20230527_135854.thumb.jpg.b9f25b245aaa1eedc99dc2c4b87a38e1.jpg

His and hers doors anyone? :hysterical:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

The cut out is to be used to fill the hole. I'd love to say it just fell in there perfect....it didn't. :ph34r: A light trim and in it goes.

IMG_20230527_150007.thumb.jpg.9f50defbd00a76ffa19c8fe382dcca74.jpg

Due to the proximity of the wheelarch we needed the door to open the other way. Easy fix just turn the frame and door upsidedown and glue it in.

IMG_20230527_161758.thumb.jpg.3def09e655ade8767bee65a0c90d5e86.jpg

Tomorrow in need to glass the joint on the in fill.

Mike

Would pick a light trim over a huge gap.   Is the door wide enough to get all your material in? 

17 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Would pick a light trim over a huge gap.   Is the door wide enough to get all your material in? 

I can cover monumental gaps with fibreglass. :ph34r: I'm working on the theory it has to go through the door. That way it can come out through the door to.

Mike

56 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I can cover monumental gaps with fibreglass. :ph34r: I'm working on the theory it has to go through the door. That way it can come out through the door to.

Mike

I can believe that, on my mind it's welding that would like a small gap..     I ones took a big old closet upstairs , after that i changed the layout off the hall....The closet would not come not down that way again😁   If you can build it all inside it's good...   The door looks a little narrow, that's why😃

On 5/24/2023 at 12:21 PM, Ed Poore said:

Any piccies? - I might be interested in some too :ph34r:

Isn't that excuse enough? :rolleyes:

Depends on how urgently you need them but @Retroanaconda is heading south towards mine in early July so perhaps he can be convinced. I'm sure my sister will be back and forth a bit as my parent's lab is due to drop some puppies tomorrow and my sister is having one. Also have a mate back and forth often but unreliably between me and Guildford.

Unless there's someone coming down to Summer Sisters from that direction?

i'll take some pics tomorrow

• Thanks 2

Sunday's plan went out the window as I've picked up a cold and felt rough. Today though I felt much better so onwards. After consulting the boss as to where the shower and lobby will be this allowed me to position the roof hatches. My eldest loved cleaning the roof, apparently the view is good. Once clean I could mark out the positions.

IMG_20230529_134503.thumb.jpg.65fe49c9d844f7f5137a2f71b2201210.jpg

Small hole drilled I was able to jigsaw the hole out.

IMG_20230529_134824.thumb.jpg.a3080e15e0ffc65c7699a48ba21d9a7e.jpg

X2 the roof is only 27mm thick but even sat in direct sunlight all weekend it's still cool inside.

IMG_20230529_144606.thumb.jpg.3399338c89a19e36a3101e6e1a6bf6d7.jpg

Both hatches screwed down on Saba.

IMG_20230529_144549.thumb.jpg.fe19220c398261bbfed121b81fb0dbec.jpg

With just two hatches it's surprisingly light inside now.

Mike

• Like 4

Also I managed to get the door liner refitted, this is the part the door seals on. Unfortunately it does reduce the width of the door a bit but it's still big enough. As the temperature dropped this afternoon I was able to glass up the original door position.

IMG_20230529_180833.thumb.jpg.e9cbedc699c0144c09f9b840c1b8dd06.jpg

I also sorted all the other holes in the outside of the box. Meanwhile the wife's been on CAD drawing up the kitchen area and various other bits for me to make, I'm not sure I dare look. :blink:

Mike

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Also I managed to get the door liner refitted, this is the part the door seals on. Unfortunately it does reduce the width of the door a bit but it's still big enough. As the temperature dropped this afternoon I was able to glass up the original door position.

IMG_20230529_180833.thumb.jpg.e9cbedc699c0144c09f9b840c1b8dd06.jpg

I also sorted all the other holes in the outside of the box. Meanwhile the wife's been on CAD drawing up the kitchen area and various other bits for me to make, I'm not sure I dare look. :blink:

Mike

Just have a look... it's better to know then to fear😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Don't you think I've got enough to do, as it is I made the mistake of looking at what she'd be drawing. Ignorance is definitely bliss. :banned:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Don't you think I've got enough to do, as it is I made the mistake of looking at what she'd be drawing. Ignorance is definitely bliss. :banned:

Mike

"But wouldn't it look great with little pockets in the walls here and there?"

Probably shouldn't give her any ideas...

• Haha 1

I've already been told I've got to remove 25mm of insulation off of one area because she doesn't want a step in the wall. It's where the insulation was increased for the freezer section, the other side is ok as it's where the door was so the infill is only 56mm anyway. The pull out kitchen is going to be a 2m tray that I've got to sort runners for..........:blink:

Mike

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

On a slightly more down to earth budget, I thought this guy had the right idea ... https://www.insider.com/diy-renovation-tiny-home-pilot-airplane-truck-before-after-photos-2023-4

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TSD said:

On a slightly more down to earth budget, I thought this guy had the right idea ... https://www.insider.com/diy-renovation-tiny-home-pilot-airplane-truck-before-after-photos-2023-4

I was with him until he started nailing big heavy lumps of wood to everything - seems to be a modern trend among the US crowd. The again it's the same lot who'll fit a real granite worktop in their camper so it can decapitate them at the first emergency stop...

• Like 3

The original pic I saw of this, it was parked at the fence at some race meet or similar, with them all sat out on the deck, in the sunshine, 10ft above the crowds. That part seemed like a genius use of a cheap truck.

I kind of assumed the fit out and write-up would be drivel (because most of them are) and so I didn't bother to read it :lol:

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:05 PM, miketomcat said:

The pull out kitchen is going to be a 2m tray that I've got to sort runners for..........:blink:

Perhaps not 2m long but I've got a load of 19" server rails that are stupidly strong, work chucked them in a skip so they quickly moved to the back of the Defender. Some of them I seem to remember were rated in excess of 250kg but not quite 2m.

There are a few threads on expedition portal about DIY drawer runners, the most versatile seem to be just using a piece of Ali angle and bolt some roller skate wheels to them, possibly either with other bearings underneath to jam a flat bar / opposite sided angle or just some HDPE skids underneath.

• Like 1