Escape

P38a (re)build

Haven't had one apart for a long time but I wonder if you could remove the gears & turn them around too? :ph34r:

The input & intermediate I think you could, it's the output gear I'm not sure about.

It's been a while, but a little progress has been made. 

I got some nice tires shipped from US (quite a nightmare to find a seller that would ship them and quite expensive to get through customs, as they don't seem to conform to some EU regulation). Next to a standard tire for comparison. Some trimming might be needed... DSCN0027.thumb.JPG.41f1153d47ba522361836e16fded1ab3.JPG

Also got the new block on the engine stand, ready to start the build:

DSCN0024.thumb.JPG.1d385ef2526ee21b8d8bfa12ddedd975.JPG

And I've taken out most of the interior to swap the pedalbox for a manual one. Definitely not an easy conversion!DSCN0026.thumb.JPG.30e4e7ab55b4cd55ecc8dc0ea8be46e4.JPG

As soon as my 2-post lift is available again, I'll take off the body and have a go at the driveline. Ashcroft has supplied a nice set of pegged lockers (forgot to take pictures) and I'll want to redo most of the suspension bushes and balljoints as well while they're easily accessible. I seems Lagoda 2019 is no longer a realistic goal...

Filip

Someone appears to have fitted your steering wheel on the wrong side Filip! :P 

Ross, that's actually one of only 2 of my cars that is LHD, all the others are RHD. 🙂

And others........filip has a car habit that makes me look good.

Mike

Just Lotus (all RHD) and Range Rover (1 RHD, 2 LHD) at the moment. 😉 And I am planning to sell a couple...

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, landroversforever said:

Someone appears to have fitted your steering wheel on the wrong side Filip! :P 

20190306_182639.thumb.jpg.94bd661373f65224d29c6abc5afe8a07.jpg

Better?

Perfect Ben. Jsut have to make sure you've got a passenger to read the dials! :D

I spent last weekend getting the wireloom ready for the MegaSquirt (thanks again @FridgeFreezer). With a little help from my friends, including the resident electricat. Great for stripping wire ends!

Electricat.jpg.028b6bc828dd3def49956fbf67df2760.jpg

We put the MS on another P38 for a trial run, so as not to have an untested controller on a newly build engine. Good thing too, as we did need plenty of starting to get the VR parameters working. But in the end she did fire up! 😄 Some tuning needs to be done, but at least the concept of using all original sensors and wireloom is proven.

Next step is to take the body off the car, remove engine + autobox and replace with the new engine and manual gearbox and install the lockers (with a bit of axle refurbishing on the side).

Filip

• Like 1