TD5 to V8

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Yep - the engine end can stay mostly the same depending which exact route you go (option 1,2,3 from my last post) it's just the ECU end has a different plug and may swap or ignore a couple of things.

I probably need to look closer at options 1 or 3 and decide from there I think. I’ll take a look at your build thread again.

You'll need a cable operated pedal, whichever flavour of rover V8 you go with. 

Unless you convert to e-throttle, now that would be funky :)

You'd need a throttle body off another car to graft onto your existing plenum, but all doable if you really wanted ;)

13 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

You'll need a cable operated pedal, whichever flavour of rover V8 you go with. 

Unless you convert to e-throttle, now that would be funky :)

You'd need a throttle body off another car to graft onto your existing plenum, but all doable if you really wanted ;)

Could I just fit a complete throttle assembly off a P38 Thor?

Or a Defender tdi pedal maybe 🤔

Any Defender cable pedal should be fine, I found the 50th Anniversary throttle cable, part number SBB104100, was the thing to have, and the stock V8 throttle that's already on the engine - Bowie was just confusing you with talk of electronically controlled throttle bodies :wacko:

MS doesn't really care - it needs a throttle position sensor but that's already on the throttle body/plenum on the engine, you just need to make sure you wire it up right but it's not hard.

• Thanks 1

Questions about the wiring loom arrangement on a 110 TD5.

Is the wiring loom split into sections that can be easily isolated from each other without affecting other parts of they system?

I have this circuit diagram but it doesn’t tell me much about the layout. 

landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/Defender%20MY2002%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

I’m thinking about the engine loom in particular so for instance, could I disconnect the ECU and the injector loom but retain the charging/ instrument circuit wiring? Same for things like the throttle pedal harness. Could this be simply unplugged from the main loom once it’s no longer required by the V8? Is it possible to buy caps that can fit over the end of unused loom plugs to prevent dirt or moisture from getting in rather than wrapping them with electrical tape etc?

Chopping wires isn’t really my thing so if it’s all one loom then I’ll need to think about unwrapping it, pulling the redundant wiring out and then rewrapping it.

45 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

The dash harness is the backbone of the electrical system and connected to it are the 2 wing harnesses, the engine harness and the rear harness.

Mo

So if the engine harness also contains the charging and instrumentation wiring then it sounds like I need to retain it and then adapt it for the V8 requirements.

Or strip out the TD5 redundant wiring and make a separate engine loom for the V8.🤔

Either way it will be doable. Cheers.

In my experience adapting a loom is nearly as much work as re-doing it from scratch.

If there's a V8 loom that plugs into the TD5-era "body" loom (perhaps D2 V8?) then you'd be better off but I wouldn't fancy trying to make a TD5 engine loom into a V8 loom.

Oh and Nige sells engine looms ready-made I believe, which could save a LOT of time.

10 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

In my experience adapting a loom is nearly as much work as re-doing it from scratch.

If there's a V8 loom that plugs into the TD5-era "body" loom (perhaps D2 V8?) then you'd be better off but I wouldn't fancy trying to make a TD5 engine loom into a V8 loom.

Oh and Nige sells engine looms ready-made I believe, which could save a LOT of time.

Yeah I’ve seen his looms and they look good but I’m talking more about stripping out any redundant TD5 wiring but keeping the bits for things like the starter and alternator as well as temp gauges etc.

I really need to study the diagrams and look at my loom in more detail but I’m not fazed by doing that sort of work.

I recall that Nige sells loom plugs so I can make sure any alterations are electrically sound and safe.

My R380 has the higher ratio transfer box off a Disco 2 fitted. Reading through a couple of members build threads I get the impression that this setup could be a bit over geared for even the 4.6 V8.

I’ve always assumed the V8 will out perform any of the Landrover Diesel engines in terms of both power and torque so I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of this.

The air box arrangement also seems to present some challenges to get right. With that in mind does the GEMS engine plenum provide a bit more space for pipe work etc than the THOR?

Transfer box wise I doubt it'll be an issue unless you're running huge tyres. The ambulance has a 1.4 transfer box + overdrive and TBH you could run round in overdrive all the time quite happily - and that weighs 3 tons with the aerodynamics of a tower block. I believe the overdrive brings the gearing up to 1.2 transfer box sort of range, and it's on 235/85R16's.

The GEMS plenum and Thor put stuff in very different places but the Thor plenum is what gains you the torque with its longer intake runners, there's no other changes to the engine.

• Thanks 1

Another question regarding the issue of leaking thin walled cylinder blocks caused by poor machining. Was this quality issue ever resolved by Landrover before production of the Thor V8 ceased? Or, are the Thor engine blocks just as likely to have similar problems?