New 200TDI wiring loom advice

After a couple of shorts and my headlight fuse melting the fuse holder on a French motorway last week it seems obvious that my 1991 TDI (formerly n/a) needs a new wiring loom especially with a few years of Africans tracks coming up. The previous 200,000km of dust and corrugations and time have taken there toll, so prudent to change it over...
Any advice about the approach would be appreciated.... what I think I know so far, please correct me where I'm wrong:
1. Autosparks seems the only choice - 10 week waiting period at the moment they said today
2. Mine was a 2.5n/a, then converted to a 200TDI, and a 200TDI wiring loom installed at that stage, complete with 2nd hand dash etc. No idea what year or VIN number the loom was from.
3. All options on the Autosparks site for a LWB 200TDI say 'we need to see your old harness to make the new one' except the last model that has the part number of AMR2348. (As the Landy is in Africa I'm not going to remove and send backwards and forwards etc)

So I'm thinking of buying that, accepting there maybe changes from my existing loom (major?) and then also getting:
A. LR439
Defender 90/110 Chassis Harness AMR1491 without HRW or Rear Wiper. In-tank pump.
(Not sure what HRW is - but I have no rear glass, it is filled in with thick Aluminium) 
B. LR428

Defender 90/110 Engine Harness with 65 Amp Alternator. PRC6082. 4-Cyl Petrol and 200Tdi. With Ring Terminals at the Alternator.
(As I have a 65amp alternator)
C. LR461
Defender 90/110 Instrument Panel Harness PRC7326
D. 

Is there anything else I should get or better options?
Is there any way to make it better - replace bullet connections with something else for example?
Suggestions welcomed....

I’ve had a loom from Autosparks and it was good , HRW is heated rear windscreen so not needed in your case . You could replace the bullet connectors ( which are a pain ) for econoseal connectors like they use on the later 300tdi , but remember that you’d need to fit econoseal connectors to the back of your lights if you still have the originals fitted , I can’t see there being major differences between them but I’m no expert only other thing is there are a few other sub looms for the heater and the brake fluid level which you could get and new battery cables.

48 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Econoseal connectors in my opinion are pretty pants, especially for lights, I'd keep bullets anyday over fitting them... coming from a guy that now has Econoseal connectors fitted to hit truck...

I've converted the bullet connectors to Lucar. IMO a much better connector

Really Maverik, I’ve got them on the 110 and had no problems with them at all and when I stripped the 300tdi everything came apart fine . But I have had problems with bullets getting them apart and bad connections , haven’t seen the Lucar ones mmgemini will have look at those .

I'm with Ian on this one, I find the econoseal far less prone to water ingress and in my experience provide a more reliable electrical connection. They are very simply constructed and it is very easy to maintain a good electrical contact by replacing individual terminals or seals.

I even reuse and salvage old housings for future use because they are that easy. 

Mo

On the Autosparks loom question, I have their main/dash & 200tdi engine looms in my 110, also have a 110 chassis loom that I must get around to fitting this summer, they are a perfect match to the factory LR looms, & I would buy again.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, western said:

On the Autosparks loom question, I have their main/dash & 200tdi engine looms in my 110, also have a 110 chassis loom that I must get around to fitting this summer, they are a perfect match to the factory LR looms, & I would buy again.

Thanks, ordered a full set. 9-12 weeks waiting time as of March 2019 unfortunately, so it seems many 1990's Defenders need their wiring looms replaced in 2019 😉

• 3 weeks later...