Tangential...

RPR

The tangent being that if the Wilks brothers had designed a motorbike, it would have been very like a Rokon: underpowered, no suspension, slow, but 2x2, easily field repairable, and largely unstoppable. So, with my SIII getting a new expansion tank and a new bracket fabbed, I took the Rokon with us on a trip to Rifle, in Garfield County on Coloardo’s western slope. If the tangent is too much of a stretch for the Mods, my apologies.

We’ve had a long, late Spring in Colorado and it will be snowing up on the Roan Plateau at 8,500 - 9,000 feet tonight. These pics were taken yesterday and it was sunny and dry but in the Fifties and Sixties. The Roan Plateau stretches out East - West from Rifle Gap about 10 miles west and ends in @3,500 ft cliffs overlooking rifle. The area is crisscrossed with deep gulches, tiny creeks and a few trails dating back to the 1950s when the area, designated the Naval Shale Oil Reserve, was explored. A few boreholes around and some high Summer pasture. But during my @ 35 mile trip yesterday, I didn’t see another soul up there and cattle haven’t yet been brought up from the valleys. 

Trails are some quite decent dirt roads where I could get the Rokon’s top speed of about 35 mph on, to bumpy twin-track (Greenlane without the green), to some rocky/shaley broken ground, especially in and out of creeks and gulches. 

Hope you enjoy pics

03DC4392-CCBD-44D6-985C-61E0D3B032C0.jpeg

2BD9A6C6-51CF-4BA0-974B-2D0C9366087F.jpeg

DD1FAE26-40AD-4430-B07C-F560D07B10B2.jpeg

B097684C-6387-4F35-9203-FE062C4A1618.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

One for sale in the UK.... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283469464879

Super cool thing - how does the drive to the front wheel cope with the turning of the forks ?

Drive to the front wheel is a shaft with UJoint connection to a mitre box over the forks. I don’t know the degree of arc, but in hard turns, drive is interrupted at the mitre box.

5 hours ago, Anderzander said:

how does the drive to the front wheel cope with the turning of the forks ?

There's a good troubleshooting video with the whole drivetrain on the bench on the Rokon YouTube channel. 

3 hours ago, RPR said:

Drive to the front wheel is a shaft with UJoint connection to a mitre box over the forks. I don’t know the degree of arc, but in hard turns, drive is interrupted at the mitre box.

That's interesting, is that supposed to happen? Wasn't mentioned in the troubleshooting video. Pics are fantastic and I kinda want one! 

• Thanks 1