R380 Oil Cooler

Ah, thanks. So I need to find some ftc2687 - they are pricey!

Yep. My box has a housing like ftc2104 fitted too. I was trying to figure out if that could be adapted to add a cooler but it seems not. 

1 minute ago, western said:

I believe Ashcrofts do an adaptor similar shape to genuine item for adding a oil cooler to R380. 

No thermostat though. That makes no sense to me once you are pootling about in the winter??

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 9:42 PM, roamingyak said:

I have had one fitted for about 12 years, no thermostat fitted, 150,000km in Africa etc. Never caused a problem, gearbox seems fine, no idea if oil ever goes into it or not 🤣

Temperatures in Africa are a little more tolerant to this matter!

1 hour ago, neil110 said:

I have had a gearbox cooler fitted to my R380 for 21 years and over 200,000 miles. Using the vehicle in Europe, USA and the Sahara, with temperatures ranging from -20 to 50 degrees. No problems so far.

They’re very useful in warm climates and essential in hot climates.  But without a thermostat, they may be a hindrance in cold climates.

These are my thoughts too^^^^ no thermostat makes no sense! I spent a good chunk of time in the snow earlier this year and I dont imagine the box would have liked beng cooled at that point. However, in this weather, I would think it would quite like it on my motorway runs from Cornwall to London!

As I said, I have driven it in temperatures as low as -20 with no ill effect, admittedly it is sat behind a V8 but even then, that has an 82 degree thermostat whereas most of the turbo diesels seem to have an 88 degree stat.

Plus on at least one occasion I can remember the engine was struggling to reach temperature, it was so cold, still couldn't feel any appreciable difference in the gearbox or gearchange action.

Took these pictures that day, in the picture of the truck you can see the gearbox cooler quite clearly through the letterbox opening in the radiator cover

ploughmarks.JPG

snowie 022.JPG

Edited by neil110

No one is doubting you Neil, but what you didn't say is whether you have a thermostat fitted in your cooler take off or not. The Ashcroft one doesn't have one, the factory one does, Syncro advertise one with a thermostat but have no stock or any idea when they will have any again. The genuine attachment is silly money (as much as a gearbox rebuild!) so a bit out of reach.

Just been under the truck for a squint and apparently I have a thermostat fitted. All I can say is that you live and learn, and now I'll shut up

Apparently they are obsolete now as well, at least the FTC1404 variant which is fitted to my R380.

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=ftc1404&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

The later variant is still available, for a small mortgage. £572.09

3 minutes ago, neil110 said:

I keep looking at that. The only thing that makes that box worth anything is the cooler attachement though I think! If its the one I think it is, a preious advert said it was mounted behind a GM V8 so I suspect the box has worked hard!

I have contacted a contact at LR to see if they can do anything on the silly price of a new genuine cooler take off. 

I don’t know how the oil cooler fits to the R380 box but I would imagine that it’s similar to fitting an auto to a defender which I’ve just done to my 300tdi project , so couldn’t you adapt a set of discovery 300tdi auto gearbox oil cooler pipes which has the thermostat fitting on the pipe cost me £60 at Pirtek to get the altered so they’d fit, just a thought.

The standard fitting has a passageway for the fluid.  I think an oil cooler that shut off without a bypass could cause oil starvation in the box, otherwise the ports would have been plugged by LR, not have the smaller cast fitting.  But perhaps that is wrong and LR just used the smaller casting for a temperature sensor.  Seems odd, when a drilling in the main casing would suffice, but who  knows?

I imagine so.  I don’t have the cooler on my R380 (though I intend to), so can’t be certain, but it appears that a flow between ports is continuous and a closed oil-cooler system  without a cold bypass would be a bad idea if that’s the case.  The aftermarket (Ashcroft and Syncro) appears to be uncontrolled, so cold oil will still be routed to the cooler, but at least the oil is flowing through the ports.  It’ll stay cold and too viscous to work correctly for a long time in cool conditions and maybe continuously in cold climates, but at least it’s flowing.  A simple blocking thermostat in that line could be a major problem.

Whilst they look the same, the Syncro one has a thermostat so presumably this is the same setup, but different looking block to the LR one. They have no stock though and no idea when they will get any!

I did think about an inline thermostat but like you say, this could block the flow. There are  few inline ones that might bypass back into the inlet line but they would make the route more circuitous so I am not sure its a good idea. Plus I am not sure on the correct temp stat to look for if investigating this route.

i.e. https://www.vwheritage.com/ac115335010-oil-thermostat-mechanical-universal-vw-spare?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZCGp4q04wIVwbHtCh196AKWEAQYASABEgLS3fD_BwE (82C stat)

80C, but not sure if this recirulates cold oil: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-oil-thermostat-with-1-2-inch-push-on-tails-m-ot-8po