300tdi bare engine start

Trying to start before fitting timing belt, water pump ect just to make sure. Wouldn't Start, was turning over and chucking oil out but would not fire up. It was blowing air out of top in pic, is this normal ?

IMG_20190822_194036.jpg

Edited by kevin50

4 minutes ago, monkie said:

Have you checked the fuel injection pump solenoid is clicking open and that the timing is correct? 

I put hose for fuel IN  on to the injection pump pipe is this right ? Could hear it clicking open. Or should I have put it straight to lift Pump?

Edited by kevin50
Spelling

20 minutes ago, steve b said:

Are the valve clearances correct ? If so it does look like the timing is not right . To check the fuel crack an injector pipe nut

The oil cooler pipes need to be connected , either together or to the rad .

cheers

Steve b

Thanks. Valve clearance is Ok. Should fuel be going in to injection pump or Lift Pump??  Can cooler  pipes be joined together?  Thanks Again

Oil cooler pipes can be looped

Fuel line from tank needs to go to the lift pump

Return needs to be connected, too.

Check solenoid - disconnect the fuel line from lift pump to injector pump and crank over / manually pump until fuel arrives.

connect line to injector pump.

Crank again.

If all is set up correctly, it should start.

Have done this many times.

Bon Coarage !

3 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Oil cooler pipes can be looped

Fuel line from tank needs to go to the lift pump

Return needs to be connected, too.

Check solenoid - disconnect the fuel line from lift pump to injector pump and crank over / manually pump until fuel arrives.

connect line to injector pump.

Crank again.

If all is set up correctly, it should start.

Have done this many times.

Bon Coarage !

Thanks. So once fuel is coming through put pipe back in to injection pipe then fire up? How do I loop pipes ? 

4 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks. So once fuel is coming through put pipe back in to injection pipe then fire up? How do I loop pipes ? 

Fuel line from the temporary tank to the lift pump to supply fuel to the injection pump, the return line should also be put in the tank as it returns a surprising amount of excess fuel back. The oil cooler pipes can be connected together so the oil flows in a loop or just refit the radiator temporarily so oil isn't pumped all over the floor wheb it fires up. 

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Fuel line from the temporary tank to the lift pump to supply fuel to the injection pump, the return line should also be put in the tank as it returns a surprising amount of excess fuel back. The oil cooler pipes can be connected together so the oil flows in a loop or just refit the radiator temporarily so oil isn't pumped all over the floor wheb it fires up. 

Cheers Will give it a go tonight.  Is it normal to blow OUT of top opening circled in pic ? 

IMG_20190823_131644.jpg

1 hour ago, kevin50 said:

Cheers Will give it a go tonight.  Is it normal to blow OUT of top opening circled in pic ? 

IMG_20190823_131644.jpg

I think that is why the timing and valve clearances have been questioned. You confirmed the valve clearances are okay, have you checked the timing? 

Sounds like valve overlap if you are puffing out of the inlet manifold.

I'd suspect a broken rocker shaft.

Have you removed the rocker shaft to check if it's broken ? Fractures are very fine and difficult to spot without removal.

Can happen after a timing belt break, the threads in the head securing the rocker shaft studs strip and allow the shaft to move.

Mo

The corrosion on the aluminium bits (and the rust on the out-of-focus turbo) makes me think the engine's been sat for quite a while;

Where did it come from??

Do you know that it ran properly beforehand?

Blowing-back through the inlet is worrying!

#1 thing I'd be doing is a compression-test.

Took everyone's advice and put fuel line in Lift Pump this time, primed it until it was coming through injectors, wired it up and it Started straight away first time, Only let it run for 20 to 30 seconds as oil was teaming out again, but when I put my hand over Intake at top it was sucking air in this time really powerful. 

Took Rocker cover off and everything seems OK in there, so nit sure if the Problems solved as it did not puff any air out again after that.

• Like 1