Coolant pump stud oil leak defender 200tdi

reb78

There is a stud on the 200tdi defender engine that passes through the timing chest into the block. The outer end of it has a nut on it that is one of the points that the coolant pump is secured on. Oil seems to be weeping along the stud and out on the coolant pump and then dripping down the timing case front cover.

Any solutions?? - none that mean removing the timing chest again! I was thinking i might take the water pump pulley off, remove the stud and put some loctite sealant to the back of the hole? Should I just seal the under the nut (this would still mean oil is getting onto the shaft of the stud and sit around the gaskets it runs through but I suppose this wont cause an issue??

What sealant would you use Ralph? Loctite gasket type? I dont know how to clean the thread without using brake cleaner and i dont want to use that and get it in the oil or on the gaskets that the stud runs through. Any suggestions?

Cool. Will give it a go. I am paranoid of creating another leak as I have just spent evenings in the last week removing the timing chest and fixing the leaks behind it! I wish I had managed to address this stud correctly at that point! But apparently not!

• Like 1

Always a good idea to fit studs that live in a non-blind hole with some thread sealant (sealant, not locker). 

Loctite 542 suits the application well. I have the Bondloc equivalent at the moment and use it quite a bit. It's particularly good at preventing water ingress into threads in ali components of cooling systems too. The breakaway torque really isn't very high, so no worries about shearing off studs locked into place if you have to disassemble in the future. Loctite 270 can also be used if you're confident you can get a little heat to it (doesn't need much) if it's got a really good bond. 

HTH

Its a funny one that as I think the stud came out last time I had the chest off on mine (rather than the nut coming off the stud), so it would have got loctite'd in when I put it back. I'd be trying to stem the leak at the source, so yeah pull the stud and seal it back in with either loctite or some silicone.

26 minutes ago, reb78 said:

What about using some PTFE tape on the thread? It should seal even if I cant get the thread in the block clean of oil? And should cope with the heat?

Yes I see no reason why not. Can't hurt to try either

20 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Thanks. The trouble again is that now it is all back together, I cant guarantee I can get the thread in the block clean of oil and all of these sealants seem to need that.

The disco failed BTW. I welded the sill on one side but only did a visual check of the other. The tester put his thumb through the crust of underseal. I knew it needed looking at but hoped it would be ok this time and i could deal with it at a later date!

I hope not. This side isnt as bad - i think. The garage quoted £80ish as a rough estimate to do it, but I brought it home as i am sure it will get worse as i remove the rust and didnt want the price to spiral! I didnt get to bed until 2am this morning as i was finishing off the driver side! Am going to go out and strip it now.

• Sad 1