DPF for Defender TD5

I live near Copenhagen, and starting 1st of July 2020 Copenhagen and other larger cities in Denmark require Diesel cars from before 2007 to have a Diesel Particle Filter to be allowed to enter the city.

Does anybody have any experience with DPF on a Defender TD5 and/or any suggestions to where I can find one?

Virtually impossible to backward engineer a dpf system for a older vehicle, the electronics to make it work correctly just are not there in the vehicles brain & the cost would be very high to get a system engineered & working. 

Plus when a dpf regeneration cycle operates it dumps all the particulates out the exhaust & into the atmosphere anyway, so I can't believe it's a good way to deal with emissions

In theory, like everything, it could be arranged - but at a cost.

Not only the cost of engineering it, but - more importantly - the cost of having it tested-and-certified by a Government-approved emissions-test lab-facility and getting them to issue the appropriate city/state-recognised paperwork.

This second part is - for a single vehicle - likely to cost more than the value of the vehicle.

Better to sell your existing Defender and buy one of the Puma-engined ones with a DPF - and supporting-paperwork/certification - as standard.

[This is why I'm selliing-on my 90TD5 and replacing it with a Euro-6-compliant Toyota Landcruiser]

Edited by Tanuki
  • Like 1

It looks like there are some out there, line this one for instance:

https://www.dieselpartikelfilter.net/pkw-partikelfilter/pkw-nachruestfilter/produkt/10778-partikelfilter-lr-defender-land-rover-defender-td5-90-110-130.html

But it looks like it requires a 15P engine, which I guess I don’t have, with my TD5 being from 2001.

The engine number can’t be read, so I don’t know for sure. 

F47A1DD6-8B79-4A80-9B05-1222E178D854.jpeg

On 1/3/2020 at 9:09 AM, western said:

If this does become law in NL, I hope the government are going to help pay for the retrofit parts at 1600 euro, not many have that amount sat around as spare cash. 

no change , in holland (NL) it's not allowed to retrofit a partice filter (it is allowed , but you will not receive a lowere exhaust emission on paper )

so it seems they are only interessted in ur money , insteed of caring for the envirement.

this januari the roadtax for "poluting" diesel's is 15% extra tax !!!

• 8 months later...

I have one fitted to mine. Only 2003-2006 TD5 models can be adapted. Cost €1500 and I could drive with a green stick in German cities. Didn’t affect performance. Apparently they’re not manufacturing the DPFs anymore so they’re difficult to come by (not sure how true that is)