Defender 110 2.8i

Dust'nSun

Hi from South Africa

I appreciate the forum rules regarding advertising, but would appreciate any feedback on whether there would be any interest in your part of the world for the Defender 110 2.8i (BMW M52 engine) produced locally between 1997 and 2001. Any suggestions exploring this avenue will be appreciated.

IMG_1503.jpg

16 hours ago, Dust'nSun said:

Hi from South Africa

I appreciate the forum rules regarding advertising, but would appreciate any feedback on whether there would be any interest in your part of the world for the Defender 110 2.8i (BMW M52 engine) produced locally between 1997 and 2001. Any suggestions exploring this avenue will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for being aware of our forum rules.

Please clarify the purpose of your first post here.

Thanks. Admin.

I assume you mean exporting them as a business, rather than one particular vehicle ?

I am sure there would be some interest for the novelty value, and I am sure you could sell a few, but its easy enough to make your own here. I do not imagine too many people would want to pay over the odds for them, what with import and shipping charges etc.

Of course I may be wrong …………...…...………. At least the steering wheel is on the correct side !

I wonder though - What would the cost and time be for a conversion (say from a tdi era vehicle) vs purchase of a factory 2.8? I bet the final costs arent that far apart especially if you put a value on time? 

I’d be really curious to see how the 2.8 drives in a defender -i had one in a BMW and its one of the nicest engines I have driven. 

6 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I wonder though - What would the cost and time be for a conversion (say from a tdi era vehicle) vs purchase of a factory 2.8? I bet the final costs arent that far apart especially if you put a value on time? 

I’d be really curious to see how the 2.8 drives in a defender -i had one in a BMW and its one of the nicest engines I have driven. 

It IS the time that costs, if , as you say, you put a cost on it. Also if you do not have the time, skills, or inclination, AND have the money to spend.

But as the engines are only a couple of hundred quid, and the gearboxes are a similar price, although are becoming harder to get, I don't imagine it would cost that much. TBH though, one would be better off using a BMW gearbox and adaptor, which will be stronger and nicer. 

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

I suspect the economical way is to ship gearboxes over as those are the only unique part, and source a crusty old BMW locally for the engine & ECU etc., unless it turns out Ashcrofts have a stack of bellhousings in their shed.

I thought it was an R380, similar to the P38 diesel, but with defender type gearchange. Certainly the flywheel and bellhousing will bolt straight up and I believe the same clutch setup was used.

And you can still get the engine mounting brackets from LR. Probably reassuringly expensive though.

Noooo. Bellhousing and input shaft are much longer. Also, the Stumpy setup used a housing on the back of the engine. A flywheel housing if you like.

No doubt an adaptor could be made though. This would have the advantage a bringing the engine rearwards and give more clearance at the radiator.

They're a nice car, I've got a 90 version - yes you could build your own if you hunt around for bits, they used all off the shelf LR stuff but some of it obscure and hard to find now -  but they only made low volumes of the 2.8s, and a factory car will have some collector value where a home-build hot rod project may not.  

Very nice to drive, tootles round much like any other Defender but with a smoother quieter engine - to get the low down torque equivalent to a V8 though (these were built to fill the void after V8s ceased production) they fitted a 1.6 transfer box -  flooring 190bhp from the lights and being able to rev out to 6000rpm with a nice 6 cylinder howl is a lot of fun, but they are thirsty..