Roof antenna and roof rack.

Gazzar

As part of my referral of the cab I've decided to move the aerial to the side of the roof. With the roof rack in place I couldn't get a decent signal, as it was under the rack.

I'll place it on the side of the roof, but I'm not sure whether to place it in the corner, or further back.

What do you think?

Front?

IMG_20200414_195330.thumb.jpg.6b1777d8d889c92fbb5bb4a292ae5b57.jpg

IMG_20200414_195405.thumb.jpg.0f72d0ba76f722a117986f1388a2182d.jpg

Or back?

IMG_20200414_195212.thumb.jpg.2000bba410c48ef32632cd092e6dab13.jpg

IMG_20200414_195224.thumb.jpg.b5cfc5ce524a07d36d2986b45999a835.jpg

I'd be inclined to mount atop the rack, even if it looks a bit messy.  Anything else will give you issues, if not today, guaranteed when in a poor signal area, you'll be crying. It's not as if you're sat still come the 'The Archers' and the 'shipping forecast' is it?

Then again; 'Women's Hour'... maybe.

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1

Atop the rack? I hadn't considered that.

I do toy with removing the rack.

I'll go in front, and straight up. The antenna  unscrews, so I can re deploy it when off road.

Out of the way, I find best place for a radio is above the rear-view mirror, with aerial coming out in roof centre-line.  Aerial is out of the way there too, and a decent palce for signal. I suspect it's what the OP is also doing.

Edited by Landrover17H

Lasalle. I wasn't going to say, but kinda guessed. Tidiest way to do it.... Think carefully about a hole there. Looks like a decent chassis-cab, do you know what unmolested Chassis-cab panels fetch? Got £400 for mine, but it was good. If it has to go there, don't drill. Glue it down or summint - it stands to look a tad odd anyway.  You are in risk of a mashed signal and/or trash a decent panel?

LaSalle.png

Edited by Landrover17H

This isn't a decent panel. This is a piece of rubbish, that was patched, filled, re patched filled and then bashed by scaffold poles.

I've repatched it again. So happy to whack another hole in.

IMG_20200405_163037.jpg

IMG_20200405_164233.jpg

IMG_20200405_164250.jpg

IMG_20200405_163035.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

If I had a big chunk of cash, I'd commission a hundred of the panels, new.

Yes, those and the side panels of the SWB tub 👍

I used round bar clamps like these to attach the boat rollers to my roof rack that my kayak sits on. That way I don’t need to drill it.

CF2D7755-0130-4962-9598-4B57B7AEAC9A.jpeg.7bdb271c23b298a20a41fd37a216ccc0.jpeg

Neat! My roof rack was second hand, and tired, so I I've no problem with hacking it about. It's used as a tree slider when Laning, and works well.

10 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

Don't fret much. Can't say I have much time for our stereo-typical LR owner. Show me a 'real' lived-in patched-up Land rover, over the predictably immaculate DBG contrivance with its August 'faker'  owner any day.

Well, I'm going for both! The pick up is a working truck, hauling stones for stone wall projects in the garden, towing stuff and other general domestic duties. I also drive it to the bus stop, so it's a daily driver. The lightweight will be a toy, to a high standard, for playing at home and abroad.

54 minutes ago, Arjan said:

You could consider one of these :

afbeelding.png.13298ce1b110ded7f1846222948c64fa.png

Internal on a window - amplified.

Works most of the times quite good

Heated front screens.

Otherwise a very good idea.

I tried one of those on my 109.  It may have been defective, but then so was it’s similar replacement from Halfords, tried in several locations around the vehicle.  I went with the stick-on loop type (looks a little like a rear screen element in a loop, set into flexible self adhesive clear plastic).  I used that on one of the rear windows and it has worked well.  I think one of those should fit the truck cab corner windows, should you have similar problems with the dipole.