Circlip Plier and Puller Recommendations

Been doing some work on a mates kitcar which required both pullers I haven't got any of and an internal circlip. I've got a pair of halfords external circlip pliers which are approaching the end of their life as one of the ends is slowly breaking. As for the puller, I haven't got any! 

I'm looking for a decent quality set of internal/external circlip pliers and a decent set of pullers that will also do internal/external/2 or 3 leg.

So what have people got? Would you recommend it or say avoid? Not worried about spending a bit on decent kit that will last me.

Thanks!  

20200604_172511.thumb.jpg.4f132daca891e6fefe15eaf7d74fed83.jpg

I have some snap on / blue point ones that are reversible  been great you just move the central pivot for what configuration you want my puller was second hand with a load of different legs with a hydraulic pressure action made by Shark at least that's the label on the pullers regards Stephen 20200604_172550.thumb.jpg.85aeee95533bcfec0d6a4a344a882395.jpg20200604_172536.thumb.jpg.d78af3d9e74722360b1a767620bb9f06.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/automotive/pullers-hydraulic/hydraulic-pullers-2-and-3-jaw-kits/f/4942?query=sykes pickavant puller

I just have the 2 legged version with the hydraulic Sykes Pickavant hydraulic puller part.

It's stood the test of time as this was my granddads and goodness know how long he had before i had! It prooves old tools last! I've removed plenty of drop arms with it and susspension bushes too!

As for circlip pliers, @Anderzander has hit the nail on the head!

Steve

Just had a quick look on ebay and this one looks like what I've got. The jaws or legs are self tightening as you apply force.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sykes-Pickavant-No-150000-Hydraulic-Ram-Puller/254608972642?hash=item3b47e09b62:g:njMAAOSwZtpezSHe

Edited by steve200TDi
  • Like 1

Get some pullers that you can reverse to do both internal & external. I bought a cheapish 3 leg set of 5 for not much. I never bother with 2 legs, always slip off and never found anything a 3 couldnt do. something like these link

Ciclips, facom sets arent bad.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I splashed out on the whole Knipex set in the end and they look great :) 

Haven't decided on a puller yet... keeping an eye out on ebay for now. 

Pullers dont need to be expensive, the sealey ones were identical to the ebay/amazon ones. What i did do was swap the nuts for nylock to hold them and grind the edges of the hooks to slightly less than 90deg, they stay on better.

21 hours ago, HoSS said:

Pullers dont need to be expensive, the sealey ones were identical to the ebay/amazon ones. What i did do was swap the nuts for nylock to hold them and grind the edges of the hooks to slightly less than 90deg, they stay on better.

I’m certainly not afraid of spending the cash. It’s more actually choosing which to go for! More keeping an eye on eBay for the chance sighting of what I don’t yet know I want :lol:  

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Needed some bigger ones yesterday to get a ~4” circling out of a Nissan NV400 wheebearing. The biggest in the set I bought above was still too small.

The ones I just got go from 85mm to 200mm regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Did you ever buy a puller Ross? I had a cheap no name one off eBay and when try to remove a steering box drop arm one of the legs snapped and shot across the workshop, good job the dog was over the other side otherwise it would have hurt him or me . The ones I looked at getting where these , https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352309793313  due to the feet on the legs being thin and easy to get behind things .

On 6/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, landroversforever said:

More keeping an eye on eBay for the chance sighting of what I don’t yet know I want :lol:  

This describes my eBay viewing perfectly!

• Haha 1