Outer rim depth measurement

Bigj66

It was decided to remove the thread that covered this in 'anorak-detail' down. It'd got to 30,000+ hits, and cumulatively 45,000. We can assume many read it. It distorted prices for rims. I could give you 'deepset' up to 98mm, or 'offset' for everything-but...

Despite asking numerous times; measurements for the stock rims? Nope - attempts always failed. When you know, let me know.

Edited by Landrover17H

There is an excellent thread on the 900Club forum - you need to join to read it - that details all the various offsets for the 6.5" rims and part nos. for all the other rims . There would appear to be at least 3 tube type 5.5" rims by part no. 

It was linked on here somewhere a while ago and I saved it to favourites - it's title starts with " Buyers guide land-rover super .....etc." 

Can't do links - sorry .

I'll measure some of mine for you tomorrow 

cheers

Steve b

2 minutes ago, steve b said:

There is an excellent thread on the 900Club forum - you need to join to read it - that details all the various offsets for the 6.5" rims and part nos. for all the other rims . There would appear to be at least 3 tube type 5.5" rims by part no. 

It was linked on here somewhere a while ago and I saved it to favourites - it's title starts with " Buyers guide land-rover super .....etc." 

Can't do links - sorry .

I'll measure some of mine for you tomorrow 

cheers

Steve b

Thanks Steve. I’ve got the 6.5” 1 ton rims here but I’m looking for a rim with around 60mm or less of inset. The ones I have here are nearly 100mm.

I’m wondering if that spreadsheet is correct. I have ANR1534 rims with a wheel mounting face to bead of 3”.

None of the measurements in that table tally with that unless the measurement points are different 🤔

It uses ET, which for our purposes, whilst technically correct, is pretty useless. If you have ANR1534, they're the 'hooky' FC rims, actually 130 rims, and likely came from the MOD ex 'Norn Iron'. You're measuring 'deepset'.

On ANR1534 6.5 Deepset measures: 72mm

Why do you need LWB deepset? Can you explain what you're trying to achieve?

You wrote:

I’ve got the 6.5” 1 ton rims

If they have ANR1534, they are not 1 ton rims, but they are 6.5.

Edited by Landrover17H

20 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

It uses ET, which for our purposes, whilst technically correct, is pretty useless. If you have ANR1534, they're the 'hooky' FC rims, actually 130 rims, and likely came from the MOD ex 'Norn Iron'. You're measuring 'deepset'.

On ANR1534 6.5 Deepset measures: 72mm

Why do you need LWB deepset? Can you explain what you're trying to achieve?

You wrote:

If they have ANR1534, they are not 1 ton rims, but they are 6.5.

I thought that but then these are riveted and I thought the Defender 130 rims were welded?? 🤷‍♂️

Easy to see why there’s so much confusion.

I need the dimensions for my project. I want to know the difference between the two.

3 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

I’m wondering if that spreadsheet is correct. I have ANR1534 rims with a wheel mounting face to bead of 3”.

None of the measurements in that table tally with that unless the measurement points are different 🤔

How are you measuring? Looking at your photo, I couldn't tell what the dimension is, as you'd need to be square to the edge you are measuring, so moving your head back and forth could easily give a false reading.

If you get a small flat stick 16" long and about 1/4" square, you can lay it on the rim, it'll sit on the very outer lip where the bead is (not the very edge of the rim). You can then use this to measure from, down to the naive plate. This will give you the front dish depth.

For a 1 ton rim it should be approx 2.3" (minus half the thickness of the naive plate)

I used a spirit level across the rim edge and steel rule to measure the 72mm from the naive outer face. I couldn’t photo it as my hands were full. So just shy of 3”.

I’ll visit my local Landrover shop and measure one of their LWB rims myself just to compare the two, cheers.

Oh dear, this thread is becoming a caricature of the very myths and folklore busted years back by the 900 thread. It's no longer open to public gaze for the reasons already stated, but until we all speak the same language, and measure the same way, we'll never get there. Register on 900, if we're allowed in, we'll get the full SP. For kick-off, keep to metric.  I'll tell you now, that  XLS thing might be technically correct, and very fine, but in practical application, utter garbage. No doubt it'll get pasted from forum to forum all the same.

I used a spirit level across the rim and steel rule to measure the 72mm from the naive outer face.

Correct - Deepset is distance: Very top face of the hub/nave to very outer edge of rim. To compare like-for-like, keep to mm.

Carry on Sgt. Major.

ANR.png

Edited by Landrover17H

From the flat of the mounting surface to the outer rim edge.

Just shy of 2 inches.

From the flat of the mounting surface to the tyre side mounting edge.

1 and 5/16ths of an inch.

Series 3 LWB.

10 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

From the flat of the mounting surface to the outer rim edge.

Just shy of 2 inches.

From the flat of the mounting surface to the tyre side mounting edge.

1 and 5/16ths of an inch.

That's a stock LWB rim, yes?.. don't happen to have part No. do you? Stamped on top of hub/nave face (as pic above), usually filled with paint.  1 and 5/16th is 1.3125 inches which converts to 33.33mm. Which is not near 2 inches. I'm confused. I hate Imperial. As a Brit we did many things I'm proud of, that system is not one of them.

Edited by Landrover17H

Difference in measuring point.

The 2 inches is the very outer lip extreme edge.

The only measure I had that had an edge start point was a wooden British rail stationary office 12 Birmingham made ruler.

Our posts have crossed. Do you know how long I've battled to  get Deepset in mm for a 569690!! I can do a rewrite if I had that info. I seem to get every which way, but deepset. So close, but so far. What I'd like is the photo above in 569690. I weep, it shall never be! You're both at it, 'kin Imperial sh8t, just shy, about, somewhere south of Dover etc etc.

It is my deep shame we inflicted it on the world.

Edited by Landrover17H

19 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Difference in measuring point.

The 2 inches is the very outer lip extreme edge.

The only measure I had that had an edge start point was a wooden British rail stationary office 12 Birmingham made ruler.

So just to check I’ve understood this correctly.

I’m measuring a deepest of 72mm on my ANR1354 rim and Gary has measured 2” (50mm) for the 569690 standard LWB 5.5” rim?

So the answer to my original question is 22mm difference between the two.