Outer rim depth measurement

Bigj66

Your deepset is known (72mm), I wrote a thread on it years back, all in hope of shattering the nonsense on this very confusing subject. But I don't have a precise deepset for the stock SWB & LWB rims, and never have. It's the last piece of the puzzle to evade me. As here, I get a something near, and lucky enought to score heaps of the deeper variants when they were given away,  I've not had my own stock sets for years.

Edited by Landrover17H

1 minute ago, Landrover17H said:

Your deepset is known (72mm), I wrote a thread on it years back, all in hope of shattering the nonsense on this very confusing subject. But I don't have a precise deepset for the stock SWB & LWB rims, and never have. It's the last piece of the puzzle to evade me. As here, I get a something near.

I trust Gary and his Brummie ruler.👍

You got the rims from vass? I was overseas when they were being given away. I need one for a spare, as I do have a set of 4 for the V8 station wagon project.

Thanks young Steven.
This is an confusing subject which the uninitiated wades into by quoting part numbers. With identical numbers used on up to three differing pressings, this quickly becomes a fool’s errand. This is why for period rims, those ET tables won’t work.

All this wouldn’t matter if it were not for the intense interest the numerous deep rim variants get, and the stratospheric values outwardly small differences make. It’s a subject set in rivet-counter heaven. You’re set to pay £2000 for the rarer sets. £400 for lesser stuff.

The only way to separate one pressing from another, is by the technically incorrect measurement, ‘deepset’. Not much else works. There’ been heaps of tables, all of which have been wrong. CD’s ET table is new in the ring. I've put the standard entrants below. They look good, but in practical identification, amount to a pretty part number list with errors.

Example: We won’t know which variant Big66 has with only the number ANR1534 to go on. I count 21 variants out there. And here’s a tragic fact,  the anoraks amongst us know, and value accordingly.

As said, thanks Steve: Do we have this correct….

NRC569690 5.5 LWB Rim Deepset = 46mm

NRC7573 5.5 SWB Rim Deepset = 47mm

231601 5.0 Deepset = 31mm

Rumsey&Diana01.jpg

Rumsey&Diana02.jpg

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigj66 said:

272309 looks interesting to me. Is there any information available on what the deepset measurement is for that rim?

Now you might see the problem.  It's very rare for any to supply precise 'deepset' for their own rims, Steve ^^^ is that decent rarity. It's ony happened once or twice. Most times to write that thread, I had to track the rims down myself. Yet many will be quick to ask for info on the other rims. It's taken years to get the info, it should be simple, but it isn't. 272309? I'll dig it out.

Edited by Landrover17H

7 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

Now you might see the problem.  It's very rare for any to supply precise 'deepset' for their own rims, Steve ^^^ is that decent rarity. Yet many will be quick to ask for info on the other rims. It's taken years to get the info, it should be simple, but it isn't. 272309? I'll dig it out.

Cheers 

I’m always happy to share except I don’t have any...🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

Really?  You've no rims variants of your own? No straight-edge? No metric-ruler? I'm forced to believe you? Your honour, I rest my case.

Yes I have the 6.5” rims that I’ve been posting about since I started this thread.

The sarcasm really isn’t helpful.

I thought you did? You want a 'deepset' and know I get these measurements somehow. That thread is at 45000 hits all-in. Sadly near all 45000 adopt your approach. I apologise, but rather than carp, I was thinking you'd see the irony, and get your ruler out. You have an ANR1534, but which, I can't tell.

51 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

I thought you did? You want a 'deepset' and know I get these measurements somehow. That thread is at 45000 hits all-in. Sadly near all 45000 adopt your approach. I apologise, but rather than carp, I was thinking you'd see the irony, and get your ruler out. You have an ANR1534, but which, I can't tell.

From my previous post.

”I used a spirit level across the rim edge and steel rule to measure the 72mm from the naive outer face. I couldn’t photo it as my hands were full. So just shy of 3”.”

Thanks for you help and information but I now have the answers I needed and I’ve decided to go down a different route now and keep my existing rims.