Automatically different! AJ16???

Blanco

You're lucky. My experience of the Jaguar community is that their answer to every forum post is booking it into the dealer (XF) or wild guessing and then booking it into the independent (XK8). Actually getting out any form of tool (yes, even a tape measure) is really quite unusual. It's like the opposite of LR4X4.

I love all things Jaguar so hope you'll be posting the build!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

You're lucky. My experience of the Jaguar community is that their answer to every forum post is booking it into the dealer (XF)

Turns out the forum was mainly USA based, and yes there was a bit of      "... well there must be loads of room in a Range Rover, why do you want a measurement.."

17 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I love all things Jaguar so hope you'll be posting the build!

I will, but unfortunately my caution has resulted in missing the 'local' breaker car, ... I'll have to wait for another to come up,.... beginning to realise there are many more 3.2's out there as opposed to the 4.0 litre which is the one that really appeals.

17 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Getting the supercharged option?

I think not, .... I can get the torque I am looking for without (in the 4.0) and a few of the Jag boys do say that the thrill of the scream wears off, and spoils the 'Grace' of the 'Pace', to paraphrase the old advert.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 11:34 PM, smallfry said:

Its turned about five degreesish, but I have made up a jig, so I could put the Jag bellhousing on it and tell you by exactly how much. This would keep the engine in its correct position.

I somehow missed this gem the first time! That would of course be brilliant, .... I have to ask tho' ,... what was the jig's original purpose?

On 10/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, Blanco said:

Sounds interesting .... shame I don't still live in Kent, .. I do have some panels to collect from a mate in Whitfield , Dover when all this eases up, might come and cadge a cuppa 😉

I have to go near there on Tuesday as it happens.

Welcome to the cuppa, but you're not having any of me chocolate Hobnobs

I will get the bell-housing quicker if it goes to Ed but if that isn't happening then by all means chuck it at John. He lives a few yards from what is now the 'Leaf' hotel so really handy to the A2. If you have a few minutes John is a guy you stop for a cuppa with, always good value. PM me if it looks likely and I'll warn him, his work is on and off at present so he could well be around even during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

First tentative steps towards realising this, ..... pallet turned up today from @Ed Poore with 4hp24 box for the P38 and the bellhousing from @smallfry, many thanks to them. Feels like a small beginning of sorts. There is another Jag in the offing too, but days at the moment are given to redoing the patio make it safer so I think it'll be a week at least before I get a chance to go look at that. ... 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Any news??

Just found this topic today... I did some research in this some time ago.

Off course the only choice is the AJ6 4.0 version with almost 400Nm of torque because of the very long stroke of this engine. Measurements are out there, I found them too. 😁

The 4.0 comes with a electronic 4hp24. You need this box because of the bellhouse and the torque ability.

You need a LR 4HP22 for the rear mounting to the LT230 (or B&W). So a P38 ZF4hp24 is not handy: it is mounted to a completely different transfer case which is not compatible AFAIK.

The configuration I have in mind is:

- AJ6 4.0 controlled semi-sequential by a MS2

- AJ6 bellhouse and pump (4hp24=60mm instead of 4hp22=40mm in length) 

- Hydraulic 4hp22 gearbox housing (if you want to keep it electronic you need to use the 4hp24 housing).

- 4hp24 internals (for 450Nm capbility instead of 380Nm)

- LR 4hp22 rear end (needed for mounting flange for LT230)

- LT230

All together the crankpulley will end up in the middle of the front crossmember. So that must be altered and a suitable radiator must be situated a bit more up front (there is enough space for that).

I have all components in my mancave except the AJ6 itself which was grabbed away when I virtually was on it.

Only new thing I saw in this topic was the clocking of engine to ZF? I would think the gearbox is always mounted level so the engine will be automaticaly in the right mounting angle too.... 🤔

Still 'live' but almost no progress due to C19 travel restrictions and the rarity of the 4.0 cars over here in Ireland. There are two for sale at the moment, one non-runner at €800 (which I will go and look at when it gets a bit cheaper) and one rather nice LWB Daimler Six at £2250 in the North, which is more than I want to pay and I worry that it would be so nice I might not want to break it:lol:

Elsewhere I have been looking for a donor D2, preferably V8 auto, for the gearbox adapter and also for the axles, again a bit of a rarity but I'll stay on it. The delay means that at least the lean-to should be up and most of the front on the workshop so that I will have more space and shelter to work in.

Mike Brown at Blackbird (discomikey on here) is tweaking some chassis brackets to fit my RRC chassis to enable the complete D2 axles to slot in.

Given those two donors and time I was going to lay out both harnesses and strip out the necessary so that I could use the existing ecu's and controls. If I run into trouble for any reason then obviously there is the option of MS.

Are you using the AJ6 or the AJ16? I was thinking the AJ16. Anyway it will be good if we have two projects on the go.

.... and just to clarify the gearbox situation, I think the Jaguar and the Land Rover engines are 'clocked' slightly differently, although I plan to keep it simple and use the Jag bellhousing if possible.  I am presuming that the transmission side of the BH interface is common to both, although I have yet to place them side by side.

I like the idea of going hydraulic only, but equally the electronic box will probably adapt quite well to my needs and unless any thing otherwise needs attention I will use it 'as is' just to constrain the budget a bit.

the pallet from Ed has a gearbox from a P38 which you are right has an unsuitable tail adapter for this project (hence D2 search as above) but along with it the TC is a possibly lower stall option that I now have and an extra Jag bellhousing that came from Smallfry is a usefull reference up until the time when I have my own x300 in bits.

Just to add that Ed's gearbox has a second potential purpose in life as well, my own daily P38 has a well worn unit which I am coaxing along  but should it go west then I have a solution on a pallet.

Thanks Ed, actually I just need the tail adaptor to the LT230 which would be most readily found on a D2 I think. (unless your box that's here goes in the P38)

As my knowledge of the boxes is really limited to the odd oil and filter change at present I can't say whether there are any differences (early/late or petrol/diesel  LR/Jag etc) but I thought if the donor vehicle for the axles was auto then I would have all the picture in front of me and the option to use shifter components, perhaps tunnel sections and so on. A  loose tail adaptor would be of interest in the meantime but not to the extent of  gearbox on a pallet  plus duty plus VAT that it would now entail to send it here. Having said that a  cheap gearbox and UK pallet to Kent might be a possibility, I might be able to get it sent to a mate although I haven't seen his new situation yet so I can't say at the moment. I'll bear it in mind if that's OK and perhaps email you when I've seen what's on the ground in Kent?