Stainless Steel Door Hinge Bolt Kit - Problem fitting

After struggling for days, yes, days, to get my Defender doors refitted, I have at last identified the problem.  I bought from Paddocks a S/S hinge bolt kit, PM017, that is supplied with new nut clips, so that there is a complete new installation.  The problem is that these new clips are not as long as the old clips, see photo, and this significantly reduces the scope of vertical adjustment.  Consequently, I was unable to get the front doors to close, let alone to align properly.  Easy fix - use the new bolts with the old fixings.  Wrong!  The old fixings are 5/16 x 24 and the new fixings are M8 x 1.25 - close, but not interchangeable.  So, I'm about to start making a new set of nut clips to fit the new bolts, and the same length as the old clips, about 5mm longer than the new clips.

Guess which is the old clip!

DSCN1426.thumb.JPG.daa760b11886a0d0f503bfabc2de74d6.JPG

I hope this might be a cautionary tale for any forum members thinking of buying a S/S bolt kit.

Mike

Britpart DA1132P / DA1134P stainless kits are excellent, exact replica of the TD5 / Puma bolts, although they don’t include spire clips - late Pumas ditched the spire clips anyway and went back to Series 2A type captive nut plates.

I've no complaint about the S/S bolts and nuts, except that half the nuts were missing.  It's the nut plates that were the problem.  I tend to agree with Snagger, above, except that sending them back would cost me more than the refund!

Mike