Stainless Steel Door Hinge Bolt Kit - Problem fitting

After struggling for days, yes, days, to get my Defender doors refitted, I have at last identified the problem.  I bought from Paddocks a S/S hinge bolt kit, PM017, that is supplied with new nut clips, so that there is a complete new installation.  The problem is that these new clips are not as long as the old clips, see photo, and this significantly reduces the scope of vertical adjustment.  Consequently, I was unable to get the front doors to close, let alone to align properly.  Easy fix - use the new bolts with the old fixings.  Wrong!  The old fixings are 5/16 x 24 and the new fixings are M8 x 1.25 - close, but not interchangeable.  So, I'm about to start making a new set of nut clips to fit the new bolts, and the same length as the old clips, about 5mm longer than the new clips.

Guess which is the old clip!

DSCN1426.thumb.JPG.daa760b11886a0d0f503bfabc2de74d6.JPG

I hope this might be a cautionary tale for any forum members thinking of buying a S/S bolt kit.

Mike

• 4 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, Troll Hunter said:

After struggling for days, yes, days, to get my Defender doors refitted, I have at last identified the problem.  I bought from Paddocks a S/S hinge bolt kit, PM017, that is supplied with new nut clips, so that there is a complete new installation.  The problem is that these new clips are not as long as the old clips, see photo, and this significantly reduces the scope of vertical adjustment.  Consequently, I was unable to get the front doors to close, let alone to align properly.  Easy fix - use the new bolts with the old fixings.  Wrong!  The old fixings are 5/16 x 24 and the new fixings are M8 x 1.25 - close, but not interchangeable.  So, I'm about to start making a new set of nut clips to fit the new bolts, and the same length as the old clips, about 5mm longer than the new clips.

Guess which is the old clip!

DSCN1426.thumb.JPG.daa760b11886a0d0f503bfabc2de74d6.JPG

I hope this might be a cautionary tale for any forum members thinking of buying a S/S bolt kit.

Mike

The bolts should be going in from opposite the nut not through the nut first

One would hope that the bolts are the wrong way round only for the photo. I struggled with these fixings last summer. The new ones that I had were like the OP's old ones - 2 part. Absolutely useless. The nuts on 2 of them were pushed out of the cage whilst trying to fit the bolts. I got some of the other type - one piece - and fitted them without a hitch. I used them on all of the bolts as I know there will be no problem for myself or any future owner removing the bolts.  And yes, I use anti-seize on everything.

2 hours ago, uninformed said:

I guess no one cares about electrolysis from dissimilar metals?

Yes "we" do care. mixing stainless and other steels types can work fine dependent on the environment and use of barrier coatings. Yes submerge in salty water you're going to get issues - yes put 12v across it you might get issues.

Apply some knowledge and a bit of regular maintenance, it will work as desired.

I've got various fixtures and fittings made from stainless throughout my truck and I can honestly say its a joy to work on when I need to dismantle something.

18 hours ago, Maverik said:

Yes "we" do care. mixing stainless and other steels types can work fine dependent on the environment and use of barrier coatings. Yes submerge in salty water you're going to get issues - yes put 12v across it you might get issues.

Apply some knowledge and a bit of regular maintenance, it will work as desired.

I've got various fixtures and fittings made from stainless throughout my truck and I can honestly say its a joy to work on when I need to dismantle something.

You don't need salt or electricity to trigger electrolysis, simply moisture. Barrier coatings if in some sort of liquid form break down over time, and can be messy. Plus there is always the risk of Gailling with stainless, as for removing, same applies for non stainless, as you have stated, clean and in appropriate places, anti seize. I have never had stuck bolts on maintenance items

Given LR door frames prone to rust and leak, no way I would have a stainless bolt go inside, and the hinge corroding the aluminium skin.

Each to their own, but the only stainless I will have on my 110 is the brake pistons, and maybe exhaust.