300tdi auto timing

ianmayco68

Can someone please put my mind at ease one way or the other, as speaking to a someone has got me worrying   . When I rebuilt the engine on the project it’s a 90 300tdi with auto fitted I lined up all the marks on the inside of the timing case and fitted the fuel pump timing pin  for setting the timing belt and fitted the belt ( as there’s no place in the fly wheel for the pin ) turned engine over a few times all seems fine , this chaps saying it could be out and I think I’ve done it correct . Please stop me going mad :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:.

cheers Ian 

Certainly was! To be honest I don’t know how it’s done, I ended up taking it to someone who knows what they’re doing who mentioned using a DTI to do it properly. As far as I could tell there is no marking where the flywheel would be to lock in place, so you can make sure cylinder 1 is at TDC  and just rely on the marks in the timing case. 

If it seems to run fine then it shouldn’t be a problem. Mine ran fine but had very little power, high EGT’s and terrible fuel consumption. Re-calibrating the injection pump and setting the timing properly has made a big difference to mine, but I don’t know how much of that was down to the timing.

Richard

Cheers Richard , it's on my project so hasn't run yet which is the worrying bit , I fitted the pump timing pin and lined up all the arrows in the case I then turned it over a good few times to see if the belt ran true and it seemed fine I only need to get the wiring in and she can be fired up . I would imagine that if something was seriously out the engine would have locked up when I turned it over by hand , looks like it's be brave time .

If I recall correctly the 300TDI on autobox vehicles has a cover plate at the rear of the engine. This is a small plate held by two unequal size boltrs. Remove the plate and fit tool LRT-12-044 into the larger bolt hole to lock the flywheel. This tool is different to the manual gerabox tool

• Like 1

When timing a 300 with EDC you need to 'refine the timing' by removing the pump gear cover, loosening the bolts and turning the timing gear a snadge to the clockwise. All the EDC sensors need to be clean and working and adding an extra earth to the engine is a good idea

I took the little plate off the back of mine and spent a lot of time trying to work out where the bolt goes in, but came to the conclusion mine doesn’t have whatever hole or Mark is meant to be in there. Looking with a mirror is worth a try as mine is far from standard!

The plate is held by two bolts, one larger diameter than the other. The pin screws into the hole vacated by the larger bolt. If you use the other hole to fix a bit of spring plate to bear on the head of the pin, it will push the pin into the whole in the flywheel as you slowly turn the engine.

Sorry I haven't got back on this yet but works gone mad again and we're doing plenty overtime in the week , but I'm not in tomorrow and will be looking to see if I can find said hole in mine tomorrow and I'll post up whether it's there or not . :D 

If I turn it so the fuel pump timing is correct then the hole in the flywheel is not correct, so my question is does the crankshaft do 2 revolutions to the pumps one? This is what the bloke told me that said it might be wrong and put the doubt in my mind . The pin went in with a good click. 

2 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

so my question is does the crankshaft do 2 revolutions to the pumps one?

Yes. If you think about it on a 4 stroke engine the pump only injects fuel on every other stroke of the piston as one is the compression stroke (inject fuel) and one is the exhaust stroke.

Also the pump pulley is twice the diameter of the crank so you have to have some gearing there.

PS I meant another turn off the crank pulley not the pump.

Yes mate I understood that bit , I set it so the pump pin was correct first  , couldn’t find said hole in the flywheel so removed the pin the turned her over by hand . The timing pin clicked in when the pump had done half a revolution . 
 Cheers Ed got it straight in my head now so will step it down and redo it , oh my head hurts hahaha:im-ok-smiley-emoticon:.

Digressing slightly, did you get your gates sorted ? 
And there is a hole in the flywheel to set the timing for anyone else having trouble.

Fundamentally everything is with respect to TDC on No 1 (compression stroke I think) so that's what you need to find.

If the pumps etc are not in line at that point then somethings out of whack.

Gates - not quite, just ordered some steel for the H frame to form the gate posts. Been chasing my tail on other stuff at the moment.

• Like 1

Thanks Ed but I think I’ll be fine, haven’t got any coolant in yet so I’ll take it apart and reset the timing with the pump pin in and the one in the flywheel and that should be fine, hopefully  :D . I will hopefully start her up then in a week or two, should finish the dash shortly then off to the trimmers.