Bit of a crease needing attention

white90

After repeatedly hitting then straightening (with use of a stout tree)

one side of the bumper has a crease in the lower section

I think this is weakening the bumper

so next week I'm going to sort it.

looking for tips/advice(some already given re s****e driving Thanks Les)

I was thinking along the lines of a plate over the crease once flattened

it was suggested to cut the centre of the crease then flatten the wed up plating over the top

any more ideas/pointers/suggestions re fixing the bumper not the driving standards thanks :) or the mess behind the car

post-5-1168558112_thumb.jpg

post-5-1168558142_thumb.jpg

post-5-1168558178_thumb.jpg

Once you have straightened it, weld a piece of flat to the outside edge to form a lip. Something like 25 x 5 flat or similar with the 25mm dimension vertical. This will form a bit of a mud trap but as long as you know it is there you can clean it out carefully.

Alternatively, weld a piece of plate from top flange to bottom to box out that part of the bumper. You should crop the lower corner at the closed end to allow drainage or clean meticulously as above.

[Edited to say: the second suggesetion is the same as Tonk's... ooops! :) ]

Hi Tony, because it has been bent and straightened a few times, the metal may have stretched, so you may not be able to 'flatten' it unless you can get it glowing with some oxy gear first. You will need a heavy dolly and hammer to 'unstretch' it whilst it is glowing. You may find that hitting it cold will just move the bend or create a different shaped ripple.

If you want it to look flat, and it has stretched, and you don't have the facilities to 'unstretch' it, then you can run a grinder cut through the centre, beat it back into shape and weld up the grinder cut.

Then reinforce it as suggested by Mark and Bishbosh.

Beating it flat 'ish' and then reinforcing as suggested will give it back its strength if you are not worried about a little ripple showing :)

Regards,

Diff

Tonk/Bish

any chance of a picture for guidance

I have read it 2 or 3 times but a picture would confirm what I'm reading.

are you referring to 20mm thick flat bar?

Diff cheers I think cutting/welding will be the approach as I have no oxy gear

I would bend it as straight as you can.

Cutting out the folded bit would be good, but not essential. I think what charles is suggesting is just welding a strip to the lower rear edge of the channel to keep that edge straight. It need only be say a bit of 20 x 6mm bar.

I would probably go for closing the rear of the bumper with a bit of plate which will serve the same purpose, but increase the strength more. boxing it in, you could use thin plate - say 1.6mm thick so it would add little to the weight. So long as it is closed, it becomes less of a mud trap. It will certainly help stop it creasing!

Si

Would it be ok to box the rear by placing a plate just inside the top bottom flanges (so it would be easier to weld in)

rather than weld a plate edge to edge.

or the flat bar approach would you have the 20mm piece vertical and the 6mm piece against the lower flange