Warn 26626

Stellaghost

That’s fabulous! 

I have an M8000 that looked similar inside - and sadly I’ve been doing it so long it’s back to looking a bit like that again 😯

The centre groove on the clutch looked the same and I had to turn it down, as it was getting hung up and jammed in the freespool lever.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

That’s a superb job - looks normal from the exterior, but much thicker with less water traps and much stronger material. And cheaper.  👌

Yes, way cheaper no more aluminium to the scrappies for me think I'll just convert my alloy scrap into useable billets who knows what I'll need in the future regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Yes, way cheaper no more aluminium to the scrappies for me think I'll just convert my alloy scrap into useable billets who knows what I'll need in the future regards Stephen

How viable would it be for you to have cast the cover and machined to finish? Would save turning a billet in to swarf and no doubt back to a billet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveSIIA said:

How viable would it be for you to have cast the cover and machined to finish? Would save turning a billet in to swarf and no doubt back to a billet.

Did cross my mind about casting but I have no experience with it what so ever, but I do have a lathe, looking at the question again I think you mean casting a cup shape to limit the amount of machining ? It wasn't too bad billet I made was only 51mm thick and 90mm diameter so did not have much to machine out but I'll take on board what you've asked and take a closer look for next time thanks regards Stephen

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, DaveSIIA said:

Better doing it the way he did.  If you cast and then machine it, then you only need a few small bubbles or casting defects to cause a big weakness in a stressed component.  By the time you heat the aluminium for pouring, you’re not saving energy over melting the billet swarf to make a new billet.  Your only savings are on machining depth and time, but that time is spent making molds.  Six of one, half a dozen the other...