Wiper arms

Hello everyone.

Need to fix the slack I have in the wiper system as the wiper arm keeps hitting the gutter under the windscreen! 

im wondering if it is slack in the wheel box and spline or if it’s the wiper link inside the wiper motor. If anybody has experienced this before and knows where it would have slack first that would be appreciated. Or if it’s easier just replace the whole lot to be sure? 

Thanks 

Tom

First check is the splined thing that the wipers slot onto. It is secured to the spindle with a grub screw. Mine were always working loose until I used a smidge of threadlock. This is on a 300TDi 110. Don't know if this is the same fixing across the range.

So with the wipers parked, just grab a wiper arm and see if it moves on the spindle.

Edited by Peaklander
Clarity

In the past I've drilled them out and retapped to M4(?). The grub screws were then replaced with BZP hex head set screws. It's not ideal from a cosmetic point of view, but I found it easier to torque the bolts up than faffing round with a (tiny) allen key.

HTH

Some thread lock on the grub screws should not only keep them tight, but prevent thread corrosion from permanently seizing the screws., but stainless screws would be a good little change too as they’ll be harder and can’t wear on their tips, gradually becoming slack.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Some thread lock on the grub screws should not only keep them tight, but prevent thread corrosion from permanently seizing the screws., but stainless screws would be a good little change too as they’ll be harder and can’t wear on their tips, gradually becoming slack.

Whilst the threadlock helps the corrosion, its not going to stop the tiny hex in the end corroding :(