Rear diff “issues”

1 hour ago, pete3000 said:

my before and after....

Pete

Ooooh very nice.

love a shiny bit.

Had a bloody nightmare getting everything off even after soaking in plusgas for last 3 days. 1 leg was ok, I got the big bolt thru the bush out straight away and thought “result” ... I spoke to soon. Now everything is off including the 3 bolts and mounting plate each side. 

I just gotta take that last sleeve outta 1. The other 🤬 I’m struggling with, had to cut bolt. Couldn’t shift it at all, and still can’t. I got the 2 ends out of the bracket but I’m left with this arm piece with what’s left of the bolt stuck solid. I’ve clubbed the hell out of it but it’s not moving. 
next option is gonna be 🔥 

cleaned up the rest of chassis in the area ready for refit.

after all the work I’ve done so far I can honestly say I’m very impressed with the condition of chassis. Need to sort 1 front outrigger and a tiny 5p size hole on the main leg. not bad for 34 yrs old.
I know I wasn’t in this good a condition when I was 34, which was a good few years back now.

cheers again for everyone’s help. I love this place. 

In case you're struggling, I've found the easiest way to get "the silver lining thing" out is to thread a hacksaw blade through it and to cut through it, being careful not to cut into the parent metal.  Then use a sharp chisel, or even a screwdriver to prise "the silver lining thing" away from the parent metal, to which it will be virtually welded with rust.  A quick clean up with some emery cloth and you can fit the new bits.  Some grease may help.  Best of luck with it, although you shouldn't need much luck since it's a fairly straight forward operation.

Mike 

5 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

In case you're struggling, I've found the easiest way to get "the silver lining thing" out is to thread a hacksaw blade through it and to cut through it, being careful not to cut into the parent metal.  Then use a sharp chisel, or even a screwdriver to prise "the silver lining thing" away from the parent metal, to which it will be virtually welded with rust.  A quick clean up with some emery cloth and you can fit the new bits.  Some grease may help.  Best of luck with it, although you shouldn't need much luck since it's a fairly straight forward operation.

Mike 

Top man Mike 

I will give it a blast this afternoon 

On 2/24/2021 at 8:41 PM, Chambo110 said:

Very last question .. maybe

am I correct in assuming the silver lining thing in here has to come out.

thanks

E57DBA6F-FE5B-4FF4-8863-0D9E33F25AAE.jpeg

Yep, with Land Rovers, even the metaphorical silver lining is just another pain in the backside! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Diff cover swapped over and re filled

A frame ball joint replaced plus super pro bushes at other end. Pressed in by friendly chap at local tyre shop. Tried myself but bloody nightmare without correct kit.

chassis cleaned, surface rust removed and treated

thanks to everyone once again 

Pay day today might do hockey sticks next 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, western said:

& you said it was us spending your hard earned dosh 😁 

The Superpro bushes are good, got them all round on my 110CSW. 

😂

can’t help myself. I love going out and taking things off and putting new stuff back on.

I blame it on my parents buying me mechano sets when I was a kid.

Been looking at hockey sticks bushes next.. what they on about wide and narrow? What would I have??  

Edited by Chambo110
  • Like 1

Wide & narrow relates to the axle end of the front radius arms (hockey sticks) on pre 300tdi vehicles they were narrow from 300tdi on the width at axle end was increased = wide.So before you order/buy the bushes measure the width of your radius arms where the bushes fit, then you will know what bushes to buy. 

1 hour ago, western said:

Wide & narrow relates to the axle end of the front radius arms (hockey sticks) on pre 300tdi vehicles they were narrow from 300tdi on the width at axle end was increased = wide.So before you order/buy the bushes measure the width of your radius arms where the bushes fit, then you will know what bushes to buy. 

Ahh ok. So mines 1987 110csw. Changed to 200tfi by someone. So I would likely have narrow I guess then. Is there measurements to confirm ?

Yes narrow bushes for you same as my '89 110,

38mm IIRC for 'narrow' arms just measure across the radius arm ends where the bushes fit that will confirm what you need.

[if the axle has been changed to the later 300Tdi version then the axle brackets & radius arms are wider at axle end]

These are the Superpro part numbers from GwynLewis4x4 website

Front Radius Arm to Axle Bushes, SuperPro, Early Narrow Bush – SPF0126K

Front Radius Arm to Chassis Bushes, SuperPro – SPF0206K

200tdi and Earlier, 90/110/130 Superpro kits

• Like 1