Valley gasket

defender dinky

3 hours ago, defender dinky said:

hi all, in the process  of changing the valley gasket on my rrc v8 efi, is there anything else I should renew while in there, or is there a gasket kit I can buy, dd

Depends how much you want to spend really!

The engine and gearbox are out and still connected, f reg,v8 3.5 efi, first registered 31/12/88, its original engine and box done 85,000, I'm rebuilding it because body is badly corroded, undecided yet weather to replace body, but would really like to repair and keep it original, it was a barn find, chassis already wheels are on it now, is there a step by step procedure how to do valley gasket and such like, dd

20210320_133421.jpg

• Like 1

Valley gasket procedure will be in any manual - Haynes or Land Rover RAVE (free downloads all over the internet) for anything that's got a Rover V8 in.

As you say you're rebuilding it the question is how far do you want to go - doing the valley gasket means you're half-way into doing a few other jobs / improvements such as replacing the camshaft & timing chain/gears or doing the head gaskets so it makes sense to think about those jobs / potential improvements before you put it back together with a shiny new gasket.

As @Simon_CSK says you may well want to replace the cam & lifters - and for not much extra money/effort you can throw a high torque cam & duplex timing chain in there for a very worthwhile improvement. It does all add up eventually though...

Interesting thread - and timely for me too as I've discovered a coolant leak at the back of my P38 V8 engine which appears to be coming from the back of the valley gasket. (Mine is a 4.0L Bosch/Thor engine)

I got a valley gasket kit from Turner engineering, and I've also decided to do the head gaskets while I'm that far in. I've ordered a gasket set for the front cover too, and will just take a decision on that at the time, once things are stripped down and I can get a better look at it. If it looks in good nick I'll probably leave it. Though the car is 20 y/o it's only done 78k.

I'll keep an eye on this though, as I could pick up some more hints and tips. 

Hi, struggling to find access to torque convertor bolts, removed access panel 3 10mm bolts, all I can see is the tc dome removed starter motor only see flywheel, does the panel remove from behind the sump, as I can see a gasket, or shall I just remove gb as is? Dd

Sorted that Bowie, took that plate off good access 17mm socket, glad I went further now, when separated found core plug leaking so that's another job but glad I found it now, having new full engine gasket kit, what I found on underside and up the sides was a lot of oil really caked on 3or4mm thick it was like tacky tar with a rusty brown colouring, would this be waxoil coating because it was only on the engine, dd 

20210322_144736.jpg

20210322_144802.jpg

You may think the cam is fine,  it I guarantee you it is worn, especially looking at the condition of the rest of the engine - it is very black inside, likely high mileage, and/or headgaskets blowing into the valley. 

A cam is cheap compared to all the other work you are doing, either standard 3.9 or go for a torquey aftermarket job. 

Chain is worn, so is sprocket, either go stock, or much preferably go cloyes double roller. 

• Like 2

wow! They are SHOT....

Has that engine been left underwater at some point? No reason for them to pit like that. Are they dished on their face as well?

If you change the lifters, you *MUST* change the cam, as they need to wear in together -be sure to follow the break in procedure. Inspect the bearing surfaces, but normally they are fine.

If I had damage like that inside an engine, I would be pulling the big ends and main bearing caps to make sure things are OK there -again, cheap and easy to replace when you have the engine on the deck.

+1 for V8Tuner, honestly I would just buy all the bits - cam, chain, lifters, every gasket and any other bits they say you might need. They should supply the good stuff anyway but specifically the rubber rocker cover gaskets and the later composite valley & head gaskets are improvements.

For a little extra luxury, ARP head studs are a nice thing and replacing the exhaust manifold bolts with studs + brass nuts - in both cases they allow better clamping and avoid the risk of stripping threads in the block.

Everything on order, full engine gasket set, lifters,camshaft,chain with new cogs,manifold studs good idea will sort, waiting on engine stand to come back, so I can turn it and check bottom end, how do you get the dipstick tube out the block could turn it with out stand if I could get that out, dd