Oil pressure problem

On 6/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hawklord said:

Hi

I have fitted the oil pressure gauge and get the following readings, do they seem ok.

Cold start idle 58psi

Cold engine at 60mph 48psi

Hot engine idle  18-20psi

Hot engine at 60mph 28-30 psi.

I don't have the readings yet for when the oil warning light takes and age to go out as I have to not use the vehicle for 4 or 5 days for this to occur.

The oil which I have used for the 19 years owned is 15w40 mineral, is this the best oil to use for a 27 year old 300TDI with 201k on the clock and not having any work done on the engine.

Extracted these figures from my 200Tdi rebuild post------ 

oil pressure stone cold just after start up 65psi

after a 15 mile run home

oil pressure while driving 55psi

at idle 25psi

oil temp 65/70 degree C

coolant temp 75 degree C

your figures look quite good, maybe the relief valve spring is weak & not keeping the valve shut, therefore allowing the valve to open slightly & let the pressure/oil disperse or the pick up pipe & strainer in the sump is not secure to the block & oil is draining back through a leaking joint

• Like 1

On a 300Tdi the oil pressure relief valve is in the front cover as is the oil pump, 

Cap/spring/valve are items 

ERR1084 - SPRING-OIL PUMP RELIEF VALVE

ERR1085 - PLUNGER-OIL PUMP RELIEF VALVE

ERR1086 - ЗАГЛУШКА (PLUG)

in this lrcat parts diagram http://new.lrcat.com/#!/1228/13789/16869/1308 just click on each item ident number to get the part number [Note- this site is in Russia but google can translate it for you] 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chambo110 said:

Ralph

Not wanting to hijack, but the parts you mention above do they form part of the pump on a 200tdi. I’m looking at getting a new pump so was just wondering??

Thanks 

The oil pump on the 300Tdi is very different to that on the 200Tdi so the parts are not interchangable. Pictures below from Land Rover Workshop:

300tdi oil pump.PNG

200tdi oil pump.PNG

Ah right, I wondered if there was 300/200tdi confusion. I got a rebuild kit for a 200tdi from Turners engineering. It contains the valve and spring as part of the kit

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, western said:

A brand new oil pump for a 200Tdi should have everything in it ready to fit, that would be my expectation anyway. 

a 200tdi oil pump will NOT fit a 300TDi & vice versa. 

Got ya 👍

when I google err1178 which I believe is correct number, it’s hard to see what’s what 

thanks fellas

300Tdi engine overhaul manual shows the timing case removed, But if the relief valve plug can be seen & its not obstructed by the sump flange, it should be possible to unscrew the plug & extract the spring & valve. 

IMG_20210704_164827.jpg

IMG_20210704_164840.jpg

IMG_20210704_164851~2.jpg

long time ago i had to make the same reparation on a 300tdi discovery , some bright soul put a thick washer under the spring to increase oilpressure !! the previous owner had the engine rebuild , but forgot to remove the washer , so the engine was creating 25 bar (!!) oil pressure and blew the oilfilters apart . took me some time to find this fault (only days before setting off to africa for a charity run) .

as far as my memmory goes , i only removed the sump to get acces tot the relief valve , so no need to dismantle the front engine cover for this

• 3 weeks later...

No not yet as I haven't got the enthusiasm with this heatwave to crawl under the vehicle and get covered in oil, but I will give an update when I have replaced the relief valve and strainer O ring.

Edited by Hawklord

It's good to know that you are going to provide an update when you get the job done. It's an interesting thread and to complete the story and diagnosis will be good.

I have just found that in a heatwave, camping above a beach is highly recommended. 😀

• 10 months later...

I know that it is nearly a year ago that I started this post but I have finally ordered the new oil relief valve parts and strainer o ring but a bit apprehensive in doing the job.

Can the sump and relief valve be removed and re-fitted easily from under the vehicle or is this a job that needs to be carried out on a lift.

Thanks

If I remember correctly when rebuilding my 200tdi, you can remove the oil pump with the sump off as there is a gap for it in the ladder frame. Remove the two securing bolts holding the oil pump to the underside of the block and the whole pump can then be removed. It would be possible from under the vehicle but having it on a ramp would make it much easier if possible. 

Sorry its a 300TDI.

I am not touching the pump just replacing the relief valve which shows as being accessible after removing the sump. Having never done this before my question is is it reasonably straight forward to take off and put back on the sump with the vehicle on the ground. I found a YouTube video showing the relief valve being taken out but he had to loosen the plug with a chisel to get at the spring and plunger and the engine was on the bench and not in the vehicle. Regarding the sump sealant the general opinion seems to be LR part number STC611 or Hylomar 2000, can anyone please recommend which is the best sealant to use.

Thanks

I've just done a sump re-seal on a 300 this morning and used STC611/Hylomar2000 . It's a RTV High temp. type seal . 

Top tip when re-fitting is to position it on a block of wood on top of the track rod and fit  at 4 places 100mm M8 bolts to line it up then jack up to block face gently then fit all the correct bolts . 

If you use the correct type it will be most of the tube  , don't be shy with it and clean all old material off before applying. 

Sump will come off ok when sitting on the ground 

Steve 

• Like 1