Grease or Oil

kevin50

On doing my front axle, just about ready to do the swivel housing with Railko and bearing. using this kit Full Kit With Swivel Housing (LATE) | Swivel Parts | Front Axle | Axle | Series 2 and 3 | Parts & Accessories - Paddock Spares
Now after reading a few threads and other things , some people say dont put the grease in , just oil.
Surely grease will be needed in the ball where half shaft spins as in Defenders.
Not sure what to do now.

•  

IMG_20210617_203439.jpg

6 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

You can use the one shot cv grease packs, they don't leak like oil can if ball is worn regards Stephen

Thanks Mate, Balls are new, Should I just pack it in there before I put stub axle on ? or should I put it in through the filer plug on side of housing ?

The Series 2 and 3 use UJ joints not CVs like later vehicles so ideally should use oil to get into all the bits but the down side is the oil can leak if the ball seal is not good.  In my view just using grease in UJ systems is not good as the grease has trouble getting into the UJ needles etc.

In nearly 50 years driving old Landrovers I have found the best compromise is a mix of oil and CV grease - put the one shot graese pack in and then fill the ball to the correct level with oil - the grease thickens the mix so it does tend not to leak as much and internally the oil carries the CV grease to the internals of the UJs where the CV grease is a better lubricant than just straight oil.

I also use this mix on later CV based swivels and it works a treat.

I used 1-shot in my 109’s swivels and steering box for years with no wear.  It is very good for the job - it thins with agitation, so gets into the UJ bearings and swivels, gets thrown well into the Railko bush bottom hole but doesn’t leak through even moderately worn seals.  Its one downside is that it can’t be drained out for replacement if you get water contamination or if you need to do some maintenance - you have to remove the main seal and let it ooze out, then scoop out the remnants.

Since you have new swivels and seals, I’d start off with EP90, but if you start getting leaks, don’t hesitate to swap it for 1-Shot.

i wouldn't put grease in an railko system , the grease is way to thick to lubricate the top pin and railko bush .

just use oil (like it was supposed to run on) , and as mentioned above , if you get leaks , put some one shot grease in to thicken the oil .

I would be inclined to use oil in UJ axles, as you have new components.

My thinking is that if you use the FWD facility a lot, then oil will lubricate the UJs better, but if only occasionally, then Oneshot will be fine.

For CV axles, then Oneshot all the way

Just my take, which is obviously the correct one 😄

1 hour ago, hurbie said:

i wouldn't put grease in an railko system , the grease is way to thick to lubricate the top pin and railko bush .

just use oil (like it was supposed to run on) , and as mentioned above , if you get leaks , put some one shot grease in to thicken the oil .

I had no pin or bush wear in 40,000+ miles using it on my 109 before I rebuilt with new swivels.  I put heavy grease in the bushes on assembly and then let the 1-shot do the rest.  Honestly, it’s fine.

25 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I put heavy grease in the bushes on assembly and then let the 1-shot do the rest. 

i think that's the main difference , putting the grease in on assembly .

i rebuild my swivels with a drop of oil in the railko, so i don't believe grease will get there.