Galvanised bulkhead seam sealing

Morning all,

Will be starting work on preparing the galvanised bulkhead for painting this weekend. As part of the pre-galvanising preparation I had to remove all the seal sealer and I would like to reapply, but am unsure what stage in the process it is best to do this.

My assumption at the moment is:

1 - clean and degrease

2 - t-wash

3 - seam sealer

4 - etch primer and paint

Any recommendations for seam sealer itself? There seem to be brushable types and ones applied with a skeleton gun. 

I see no harm in using the etch primer before the seam sealer. The primer is thinner and will seep in to crevices that sealer will not. Even paint over the primer too before using sealer, and paint the sealer afterwards. 

I've used brushable seam sealer from Buzzweld.  If you use a gun you're still going to want to smooth it down and force it in to gaps so you may as well just use  brushable.  A tin may be better value. I avoid guns where possible because of the hassle of trying to seal the nozzle and stop it hardening when left for a while.

So I just looked back at my photos when I replaced my bulkhead in 2019, I can't find any pictures of me seem sealing it, memory serves I might have put a wee bit in a few obvious holes, but the galvy has pretty much done the job of the sealant and closed up most of the awkward gaps. Will be 2 years since doing it and I've had no leaks etc.

If you stick with your planned order of operations, I would test the etch primer on a bit of seam sealer, just on some scrap or something. I only mention it as the last time I did something similar the seam sealer didn't like it very much, and the whole lot stayed kind of tacky. Not sure what sealer that was however, as it was on something I bought.

As for a specific seam sealer I've been using a Tetrosyl brushable one, pretty happy with it so far, but its only 6 months to a year old.

I used brushable tetrosyl and similar specific seam sellers ten or so years ago and wasn’t that impressed with it, seemed to shrink over time. Best thing I have found is Soudal Carbond, not sold as. Assam sealer as such but is excellent - I have done a number of bulkhead with this now with no issues and completely overpaintable.

Bit late, but etch prime first then seam sealer.

All new vehicles are done this way. As said , galv will seal most small gaps, but seam sealer stops dirt and grit as well, and looks "proper"