Roamerdrive

Cornish Rattler

Isn't there a comment about new and older ones re cheaper bearings?

I seam to recall that they suggest the fitment of their finned transfer box plate  with high output engines.

Though I also would like one.

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

I seam to recall that they suggest the fitment of their finned transfer box plate  with high output engines

That's for TD5 and up plus tuned earlier vehicles. Otherwise it isn't essential, although I have one on my un-tuned 300TDi

1 hour ago, Cornish Rattler said:

New 😁

Well then you will receive all the details but fitting is easy. You do need to be careful of the oil in the TB (which it shares). It has to be GL4 spec.

45 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

That's for TD5 and up plus tuned earlier vehicles. Otherwise it isn't essential, although I have one on my un-tuned 300TDi

Well then you will receive all the details but fitting is easy. You do need to be careful of the oil in the TB (which it shares). It has to be GL4 spec.

Yes i was looking online for GL4 but there are so many different spec's for it so was unsure hopfully the onstruction will be in the box unless someone can tell me, atm i have ep 140's in it 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:57 PM, missingsid said:

Isn't there a comment about new and older ones re cheaper bearings?

I seam to recall that they suggest the fitment of their finned transfer box plate  with high output engines.

Though I also would like one.

The magazines have speculated that the quality went down when Britpart became main distributor, including the use of cheap bearings.  Mine was one of the first in the UK and that had cheap bearings too.  The big main bearing was slightly oval and squealed on its high spot every rotation when dry, but it ran fine.  The rest of it was very well made.  I did later replace all the bearings with NSK and SKF stock.

They are susceptible to sun shaft bearing failure if they run dry from a transfer box oil leak, which I learned the hard way, but I was amazed at how little was needed to rebuild it, and it had continued to provide drive after the bearing failure.  It is a huge amount more robust and resilient than the Fairey type I had (and rebuilt) before.

The overdrive comes with the finned transfer box plate, or at least used to.  It is a big benefit, not only in reducing oil temperatures, but also in reducing leaks.

Make sure you use thread lock on the grub screws securing the main shaft but inside the coulpling.  I found that the nut tended to loosen with the grub screws slackening the nut a little on one side of the small amount of spline play, but would slip over the nut collar in the other direction, rather than relighted it, so the nut would get a tiny bit loose over a few thousand miles. In the end, I sorted that by marking the grub screw positions on the correctly tightened nut and then grinding slots for the grub screw tips to locate in.  Simple enough, should you experience the same problem.

One common issue that occurs as wear takes its toll is vibration of the linkage rose joints.  A rubber o-ring between the flange of the joint and the spacer tube between the rear linkage joiunt and the selector shaft in the unit solves that - you probably wouldn’t even need one on the front joint to the lever.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

The magazines have speculated that the quality went down when Britpart became main distributor, including the use of cheap bearings.  Mine was one of the first in the UK and that had cheap bearings too.  The big main bearing was slightly oval and squealed on its high spot every rotation when dry, but it ran fine.  The rest of it was very well made.  I did later replace all the bearings with NSK and SKF stock.

They are susceptible to sun shaft bearing failure if they run dry from a transfer box oil leak, which I learned the hard way, but I was amazed at how little was needed to rebuild it, and it had continued to provide drive after the bearing failure.  It is a huge amount more robust and resilient than the Fairey type I had (and rebuilt) before.

The overdrive comes with the finned transfer box plate, or at least used to.  It is a big benefit, not only in reducing oil temperatures, but also in reducing leaks.

Make sure you use thread lock on the grub screws securing the main shaft but inside the coulpling.  I found that the nut tended to loosen with the grub screws slackening the nut a little on one side of the small amount of spline play, but would slip over the nut collar in the other direction, rather than relighted it, so the nut would get a tiny bit loose over a few thousand miles. In the end, I sorted that by marking the grub screw positions on the correctly tightened nut and then grinding slots for the grub screw tips to locate in.  Simple enough, should you experience the same problem.

One common issue that occurs as wear takes its toll is vibration of the linkage rose joints.  A rubber o-ring between the flange of the joint and the spacer tube between the rear linkage joiunt and the selector shaft in the unit solves that - you probably wouldn’t even need one on the front joint to the lever.

Great info.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:18 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I've got a Roamerdrive and it's been great. Finned sump can't hurt so worth doing. Didn't bother with a gauge, just use tell-tale stickers.

GL4/5 gear oil info here: https://fuddymuckers.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=tech:oil:bronze

Think i messed up getting the gauge anyway as i bought the Roamerdrive and gauge from Syncro gearboxes as they was cheaper than ebay, wanted to order direct from manufacturer as told it would be even cheaper than Syncro gearboxes but thier website was down so ordered from Syncrogearboxes but bought the fined sump off ebay then later found out the gauge is for the LT230 transfer box ☹️

22 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Yeah was thinking of doing the same 👍

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I thought that Britpart had grabbed the distribution rights for them. Clearly not sole rights if you are buying from Syncro.

Yeah i tried to order it from the makers of roamerdrive as i was told i would be a lot cheaper but thier website was down so bought it from Syncro gearboxes £200 cheaper than from ebay 

• Like 1