Roamerdrive

Cornish Rattler

33 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Very nice, good to see it with ax X-Brake as that is what I have.

How come the bulkhead grommet is down the TB end? I guess you don't use it.

There is one fitted but used this one to keep the speedo cable from rubbing but now the roamerdrive is fitted its not doing anything now plus i'm not happy the way the speedo cable comes out of the box and has to bend round the roamerdrives dipstick and i'm expecting it to snap soon but will see as there doesn't seem away round it ☹️

20 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

There is one fitted but used this one to keep the speedo cable from rubbing but now the roamerdrive is fitted its not doing anything now plus i'm not happy the way the speedo cable comes out of the box and has to bend round the roamerdrives dipstick and i'm expecting it to snap soon but will see as there doesn't seem away round it ☹️

Oh, mine used to rout like yours but when I changed my speedo for a newer one I had to fit a S3 cable which is too long for a S1 so I can route it  in a large loop. Not that I have a Roamerdrive to avoid at the moment.

Looking at your pics I see that there is nothing that you can do to reroute it as it is exactly in the way. Is it possible to add a male/female threaded extension to the level plug to bring the pipe further away from the TB and out of the way from the cable?

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

Oh, mine used to rout like yours but when I changed my speedo for a newer one I had to fit a S3 cable which is too long for a S1 so I can route it  in a large loop. Not that I have a Roamerdrive to avoid at the moment.

Looking at your pics I see that there is nothing that you can do to reroute it as it is exactly in the way. Is it possible to add a male/female threaded extension to the level plug to bring the pipe further away from the TB and out of the way from the cable?

Yeah probably or go back to a level plug but i will see how long it lasts first 🙂

3 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Tank's on empty, and i've got 1/2 a gal in the garage so plan was to put the 1/2 gal in the tank and fuel station, where i work backs onto the local fuel station and they was quewing all day yesterday so just hoping they still have some 

Yeah no fuel but did manage to try the Roamerdrive and its geat really nice and smooth just wish i had more fuel to try it properly but yeah i'm really pleased with it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 10:48 PM, RaggedJoe said:

Have you given it a decent run yet?

Yes sorry i gave it a 15 mile run on Monday and it was great went in and out of o/d in all gears, used it as a splitter gear as well as leaving it in and running all the gears although i would use it mainly as a splitter gear and final gear on the Mway and yes its really smooth i'm really pleased with it 😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RaggedJoe said:

Good to hear, I'm still trying to justify it for a vehicle that gets little real world use.  🙂

All the justification needed is that it makes you happy.  If the vehicle is rarely used, a new overdrive is unlikely to recoup the cost unless fuel is astonishingly high.  But if you enjoy the vehicle, and an overdrive will enhance that enjoyment, then that is all the reason you need.  Money doesn’t bring happiness - it’s function is to be exchanged for the things that bring you happiness!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Snagger said:

All the justification needed is that it makes you happy.  If the vehicle is rarely used, a new overdrive is unlikely to recoup the cost unless fuel is astonishingly high.  But if you enjoy the vehicle, and an overdrive will enhance that enjoyment, then that is all the reason you need.  Money doesn’t bring happiness - it’s function is to be exchanged for the things that bring you happiness!

Yeah i still think they are over priced for what they are but i just couldn't bring myself to buying a worn out Fairy for the best part of a grand and still have to rebuild or fix it, with my last S2a i dropped lucky as i bought a brand new old stock Fairy for £350 the guy bought it for a left hand lightweight but didn't like where the lever was so he removed it all and put it on a shelf and forgot about it 20 something years later i bought it and it was great so with this one and over doing it with the HRTC plus 3.54 diffs then removing the HRTC i decided to fit a Romerdrive.

20 hours ago, Cchase said:

Not experienced with this unit...do you clutch between shifts or is it like an electric OD?

Thanks

You disengage the clutch like changing gear, just like the Fairey and Toro.  They do have full synchromesh, though, so no need to double declutch, even on a SI or SII.

Then bite the bullet!  It does make driving so much more relaxed, and the roads in NZ demand an overdrive rather than HRTC or diff swap.  If it turns out that you don’t use it, you’ll be able to sell it on without an enormous drop in value - they’re always in demand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 10:01 AM, Snagger said:

Then bite the bullet!  It does make driving so much more relaxed, and the roads in NZ demand an overdrive rather than HRTC or diff swap.  If it turns out that you don’t use it, you’ll be able to sell it on without an enormous drop in value - they’re always in demand.

Yep i really love mine 😃