Series in Mapungubwe NP

Eightpot

Reached Mapunbugwe without drama, thoroughly enjoyed driving the 2.6 again, cruising all the way at 55 to keep the revs at a reasonable limit - man does this engine need a fifth gear or overdrive!  Time to explore the new playground

20220108_130405.jpg

• Like 2

Some great trails along the banks of the great Limpopo river. The 109 feels very at home here, surprisingly haven't seen another series in a fortnight, and only a handful of Defenders. It's been a great talking point though with old boys stopping to chat about the 2a all the way up, usually warning me not to take it on any long journies 😄

20220108_130530.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some nice challenging tracks to explore, a few marked for low range equipped 4x4s only with very steep shale and rock inclines. Parabolics on the 109 soaking it all up nicely - really doesn't feel far removed from a Defender aside from the heavy steering and creaking springs

20220108_130631.jpg

20220108_130741.jpg

• Like 2

Lots of interesting flora & fauna to explore up here - I spend all my money on landies rather than cameras so wont put my embarassing wildlife shots on, though I can pick up some of the huge baobab trees ok with the tiny lens on the back of my phone! Still no probs with the car despite the previous days off roading and rock bashing, and daytime temperature of 38 degrees 

20220105_113330.jpg

20220108_130850.jpg

20220109_123140.jpg

• Like 1

Will definitely return to explore this place and the wider Limpopo river area again. Heading East towards the uppermost gate of Kruger NP - air temperature is savagely hot with a bone dry hot wind blowing. Had a couple of worries with the water temp rising after a few hours on the road and had to stop a couple of times to let the big iron 2.6 block dissipate some heat, but finally made it in to Kruger on a light throttle at 30mph praying the head gasket held.

20220108_130815.jpg

20220109_124548.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Wow 🤩 

fabulous trip, beautiful 109, amazing landscapes.

Would love you to share more, on both the trip and how you kit the 109 and yourselves out for it.

I’d read whatever you’d be willing to share 😊

Thanks - I'm still in Kruger, currently perched in a cottage overlooking the Olifants river, the landscape far below dotted with tiny ellies, giraffes, zebra, hippos.

So far as kitting out, I always keep it very simple. The car is 100% standard, running on G90 tyres which are nice in these sandy/gravel conditions and it has a second long range fuel tank.   I fell lucky with the car - bought unseen on gumtree for cheap from a deceased estate, turns out it's previous owner kept it beautifully maintained, and other than popping a new rad, water pump and service items on for peace of mind it's driven like a swiss watch.  I've added a removeable board in the rear load area so I can stow the camp table/chairs underneath & other gear on top.

I pack just enough tools & vital spares to deal with anything moderately straightforward, if anything huge happens I'll open a beer and sit till someone passing can tow me somewhere.  A jerry of fuel & water, gas bottle with screw on burner, fridge with leisure battery through a simple solenoid, and beyond the normal camping paraphernalia of chairs/mats/tent that's it - once you've added a few days worth of food/beer and a couple of cases of clothes she's full.    

This outing is only a couple thousand km and help is reasonably readily available - if I were to go in to Botswana/Namibia I normally take a solar panel, bit more fuel, bit more water, otherwise not too much different. The lighter the better always. 

20220109_134106.jpg

Edited by Eightpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

moved down into Kruger to take some time to properly explore it from top to bottom - it's not the ideal safari truck with the sliding side windows & letter box screen, but getting up at 4am, flicking the switch on the 6 cylinder rover engine and getting the quiet low wuffle rather than a harsh diesel clatter, the dim glow of the lights and the breeze through the vents - heaven. 

20220117_123839.jpg

• Like 3