Reporting eBay scams

sean f

This doesn't directly involve a LR but does cover issue which others have had with LR vehicle scams.

I regularly scan eBay for prices on industrial lathes amongst other things, a few years ago I bought a Harrison M500 with a friend and now it has cropped up on eBay apparently for sale again.

The pictures are identical to the ones from the original listing including the workshop in the background, but the new seller is in a completely different part of the country than the original one so defiantly not the same person. The actual lathe in the pictures is in my friends workshop (not the one in the pictures) and most definitely not for sale.

I have reported it to eBay but doubt they will do much as you can't explain why you are reporting it specifically.

It's eBay item number: 154729451605

I am mostly concerned that others are going to get scammed by the listing, at best the seller is not picturing the actual lathe for sale at worst they will take deposits or even the entire price and then disappear, bet they won't take PayPal!.

I know similar listing have happened for Land Rovers (and other higher value vehicles) using pictures from legitimate listings so just wondering if there is anything else that can be done to report it.

Just to see what happens I have asked the seller if I can view the lathe in person.

If the mods consider this to far off topic feel free to delete it.

I report stuff on ebay regularly, and interestingly I got a call from ebay once after I reported a number of false vehicle sales from the one owner. Ebay where extremely appreciative of the reporting and the ads where removed within hours.

A bizarre experience.

There's one regular scammer who keeps listing the same bunch of vehicles over and over again in the military vehicles category. I always report they when I see them. It's so obviously a scam tho, I doubt anyone with more than about half a brain cell would get taken in by it. You'd think if they were going to the trouble of hacking accounts and creating scam listings that they might put in the effort to make it look half convincing.

32 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

There's one regular scammer who keeps listing the same bunch of vehicles over and over again in the military vehicles category. I always report they when I see them. It's so obviously a scam tho, I doubt anyone with more than about half a brain cell would get taken in by it. You'd think if they were going to the trouble of hacking accounts and creating scam listings that they might put in the effort to make it look half convincing.

There's a scam ebay listing facebook group and it amazes me the number of people posting on there who have fallen for such things. Stuff like ~£30k plus motorhomes and they've bid on it for £4-5k and lost the money :(