Rover V8 Water pump guru's needed

Hi All

Doing a few pipe changes on the V8 and decided it would be good to swop the pump at the same time.

But didn't realise how many different ones there are!

It's an early 3.9 from a Range Rover but has been very messed with so could be anything really, have excluded a few but there is still a choice.

Also a bit perplexed as to how to get this one off??

So any ideas on which one it is and how to remove the pulley please?  ( Looks to be welded on 😬 )

I guess removal and replacement of the pulley is the important bit for belt alignment.

image.png.8febb343653e88e5e70e9b2014da2b82.png

Thanks Bowie, I think I may need to remove the pump with pulley still mounted.

I have a fully dressed 3.5 in the garage ( as you do 🙄 )  and measuring that the pully is about 5mm closer to the pump so easy to knock up a spacer for the 3.9.

Anyone know the difference between an aircon pump and non aircon?

14 minutes ago, gbmoto said:

I have a fully dressed 3.5 in the garage ( as you do 🙄 )  and measuring that the pully is about 5mm closer to the pump so easy to knock up a spacer for the 3.9.

Anyone know the difference between an aircon pump and non aircon?

Aircon is a separate pump altogether not related to that pump your showing it that's what you mean regards Stephen

51 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Aircon is a separate pump altogether not related to that pump your showing it that's what you mean regards Stephen

But is there some difference in the belts and belt position on an aircon setup?

17 minutes ago, Junglie said:

But is there some difference in the belts and belt position on an aircon setup?

Not that familiar with the v8's but you could have a serpentine set up that picks up all engine related pumps including aircon, or the aircon will be run off a separate belt via a twin pully drive regards Stephen

Ta All, yes I'm wondering if the snout bit is longer for a dual belt pulley to run the AC maybe??

Thinking of going for this https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/water-pump-v8-stc483.html  and then using the pulley from the 3.5.

The engine  number denotes 1988 but of course have no idea of the spec of the Range Rover it came from and it has been "tweaked" a bit since.

From what I've heard there's a whole plethora of subtly different and overly convoluted belt setups for the earlier V8's, @Hybrid_From_Hell I think at one time had memorised a lot of them... if there's a later version front that uses a single serpentine belt for everything I would jump at that in an instant.

The oddly long-nosed water pumps like that were certainly an early thing, could even be SD1 as there were a lot of swapsies done with old SD1 bits and the like.

Thanks all, I have ordered a STC483 which is the "correct" pump for the engine.

But yes, the pulleys seem to be a total nightmare and not easy to find, I'm hoping the 3.5 one will be a start at least, maybe with a spacer to adjust the distance.

Will update when sorted.

As far as I know the water pump should be interchangeable for all V8s with a V-belts. The belt arrangement is like below, with the alternator in the right corner of the picture (so engine/car LHS) and AC in the left top corner, driven by a separate belt from a double pulley on the water pump. In your photo the alternator seems to be on the other side, on the same belt as the water pump. That makes me think the V8 is from a different car (Morgan, TVR, ...) ? Or it's a 3.9 built up with (older) 3.5 bits. As above, never seen a pulley/nose like that on a Land Rover. Do you have an engine driven fan (on the water pump) or an electric one?

Edited to add, looks like it could be from a Stage 1/ early 110, but with a bigger engine and added power steering. Not to familiar with those, curious to learn more!

background image

Thanks Escape, yes I agree, I think it is an '88 3.9 but with earlier front end, the heater pipe routing is also wrong for an 88.

The layout of alternator and pas pump are identical to a fully dressed 3.5  from an early 110 that I have.

Currently it is just running an electric fan but I may well add the 3.5 mechanical fan when all done.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a small update, bought a standard 3.9 waterpump, looks like that will fit fine.

Alas the pulley from the 3.5 was way different and no way would it fit.

So bought a standard 3.9 pulley but alas it needs about 1 cm extra back spacing.

As these belt runs are governed by the crank pulley options are a bit limited.

Now thinking about a dual pulley top pulley...if you see what I mean........

pulley.jpg

Edited by gbmoto

Well, that didn't fit the water pump, the flange on the 3.9 is too big to fit within this pulley, just like the 3.5 I have........ grrrrrr

So next plan is compare the 3.5 and 3.9 pumps, if it is just the flange that's different then I need a 3.5 pump

Jeez thi is painful  🤪 

• 10 months later...

Just to round this out, my 3.9 seems to have the front of a 3.5, once I worked that out a bog stock 3.5 pump worked.

Needed to do some creative stuff on the welded original to get it off tho'

All back to standard and can even fit a viscous fan if I want now.

Also did the valley gasket, injector seals and changed to the heater hoses over the rocker cover rather than under the inlet manaifold.

Just one strange thing...... how do you get the thermostat to stay in place whilst bolting on the manifold?

Just kept slipping out, even tried to stick it in with a few dobs of silicone but no luck.

I was sure it was right at one stage but it slipped whilst tighnening resulting in a major leak.

Just to test everything it's together without a thermostat at the mo.

I guess there is a clever technique??........other than tipping the landy on it's tail.......😆

• Like 1

Missed this first time around. That pulley does look mighty familiar, the actual pulley part, not the front bit that has been welded, but I cannot remember what it was fitted to.

Whatever it came from would be quite old, as it looks like the early narrow belt. Might even be off a four cylinder. or a LDV Sherpa V8. 

5 hours ago, gbmoto said:

Just one strange thing...... how do you get the thermostat to stay in place whilst bolting on the manifold?

The engine is tilted back slightly as standard, if you can sit it in the manifold I've found they usually stay put without too much of a fight.