Poxy Defender horns

Having had to clap the anchors on once too often due to uet another old fart elederly gentleman / lady pulling out in front of me as they were seemingly unable to hear the pitiful beep from a standard Defender horn I have decided to improve on the factory fit item...

DSCF4138a.jpg

Now where to hide a 2ft horn B)

Nooo, I've got one of those in the garage somewhere that came off another another vehicle. The bling thing in the photo is a Grover Stuttertone which is the same as the one that can be heard above the din of the Q2b & electronic siren in this clip.

Tried that and it's too big so I'm probably going to bolt it to the bottom of the drivers side seatbox.

Crikey, you'll jump a mile when you use it :o:D

is it still to big to be bolted to the underside of the wingtop above the wheelarch ??? :unsure:

I fitted 2 Wipac/Mixo horns [low & high note]

WipacMixohorn.jpg

similar in shape to the standard horn but much better & I know where the 2 tone is going to be fitted.

Crikey, you'll jump a mile when you use it :o:D

is it still to big to be bolted to the underside of the wingtop above the wheelarch ??? :unsure:

I fitted 2 Wipac/Mixo horns [low & high note]

WipacMixohorn.jpg

similar in shape to the standard horn but much better & I know where the 2 tone is going to be fitted.

Yes the sound bit sits quite high on the pedestal and the bell at t'other end plus the length mean that there's just not enough space to get it between the inner & outer wing. I did think about cutting the trumpet and adding a flexible extension to feed it up behind the grille (like some siren speakers have) but it seems a shame to cut such a nice bit of bling - even if I want it hidden :D

I had similar problems with the original horns

On the family`s everyday car (Clio 1.6 Initiale) it has twin Fiams loud & classy

ordered a pair and tucked them up under the front bumper pointing down - ideal for the job

Happy trails

Abe

MOG, in my LTWT I found space between bulkhead and front panel on the RHS for a similar device. With 120 psi in the tank you do not need to have the front flare of the horn open to the outside of the vehicle, believe me!!!!

The upcoming rearrangement of radiator and other bits should allow me to fit the bigger (3 ft)

Never mind the wrinklies these wake EVERYBODY up. :D

jw

ive seen a truck horn that sort of size fitted up inside the wing behind the O/S headlight, sounded like a sodding fishing boat coming into port when used - needed two of the small crappy air-horn compressors to run it though!

It's going on a TD5 110 XS and mounting on the inner wing would usually be the preferred option but this horn is a bit too long and big at the ends. I'm probably going to bolt it to the underside of the drivers seatbox facing forward, on the roof or top of the wing is a bit too Carlos Fandango for this motor (showing my age there) ;)

The compressor is already mounted in the battery box, the airtank will go along one of the chassis rails, the operating valve will probably go in the right seatbox where it will be close to the horn and wired up to a momentry switch on the aux switchbox.

Won't it get knackered from filling up with mud, water and salt spray underneath?

I would try hard to find space for it in a more protected place higher up.

Regards,

Diff

Tucked up behind the mudflap with a snowshield fitted to the front I reckon it will be reasonably sheltered but if it gets clagged too much up I'll have to shift it.

In the end I managed to get it fitted between the R/S outer and inner wing, it's a tight fit and I had given up getting in there last time I tried but after a lot of threading, jiggling and cursing to get it in there. I fabricated a bracket which bolts to the wing support brace on which the inlet end of the horn is bolted..

DSCF4154a.jpg

DSCF4154c.jpg

The front support is attached to the inner wing with a self tapping bolt.

DSCF4157a.jpg

The bling chrome is mostly hidden once the egr gubbins and bracket is refitted to the wing.