Tried a Cummins today

Snagger

I’ll ask him for video.  The Cummins cost him $7k, if I remember right,y, and yes it is a common rail system with electronic throttle and was a crate engine.  It sounds not that different from a TD5 externally, maybe with a slight amount more gravitas, but close.  He hasn’t added sound proofing yet and there are a few items rattling live the rear view mirror which made it a mite noisy, but not terrible.  The gearbox is an Ashcroft HD LT77.  Not impossible that the mating system came from them too.  
It just keeps pulling.  The owner has it on 35” Wranglers with standard diffs and a 1.22 LT230.  I was pulling away on hills in second (hills in Washington state are no small matter) and rarely hit fourth on the straights.  Fifth is for highways only, but you can be really lazy with gear changes; it just has so much torque and a wide torque band.  The turbo sounds superb when it spools up.

I don’t know much about the 4.6 rocker covers other than that they are big and caused the plenum extension.  He has been through a few front covers to chose the one that fits the engine bay best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Escape said:

Interesting rocker covers on the 4.6! Any more info on those?

Offenhauser I think, or possibly Mickey Thompson. I used to have a pair and I dont remember selling them.

Real Steel in Uxbridge( near Heathrow Airport for our overseas viewers) used to do adaptors to enable you to fit Ford or Chevy covers. I dont know if they still do ?

14 hours ago, Snagger said:

I’ll ask him for video.  The Cummins cost him $7k, if I remember right,y, and yes it is a common rail system with electronic throttle and was a crate engine.  It sounds not that different from a TD5 externally, maybe with a slight amount more gravitas, but close.  He hasn’t added sound proofing yet and there are a few items rattling live the rear view mirror which made it a mite noisy, but not terrible.  The gearbox is an Ashcroft HD LT77.  Not impossible that the mating system came from them too.  
It just keeps pulling.  The owner has it on 35” Wranglers with standard diffs and a 1.22 LT230.  I was pulling away on hills in second (hills in Washington state are no small matter) and rarely hit fourth on the straights.  Fifth is for highways only, but you can be really lazy with gear changes; it just has so much torque and a wide torque band.  The turbo sounds superb when it spools up.

I don’t know much about the 4.6 rocker covers other than that they are big and caused the plenum extension.  He has been through a few front covers to chose the one that fits the engine bay best.

A friend in 'Murica (top end You Tuber and ec Tech Editor) put one in his Jeep TJ, to replace a 2.5. He did the install with the Cummins Design Guru. He's never stopped raving about it. It has more grunt than a in line 6. 

On 2/17/2022 at 8:20 PM, smallfry said:

Offenhauser I think, or possibly Mickey Thompson. I used to have a pair and I dont remember selling them.

Real Steel in Uxbridge( near Heathrow Airport for our overseas viewers) used to do adaptors to enable you to fit Ford or Chevy covers. I dont know if they still do ?

Aah yes, when I was looking for rocker cover spacers for my 5.0 I did come across adaptor plates to fit Ford or Chevy covers. That would give you lots of options for different covers. I'm just looking for a bit of extra height to clear the rolling rockers so had spacers made for the standard covers (by Whengparts, very happy with both the product and service). If higher covers were to exist for the Rover V8, that would of course be a more elegant and lighter solution, and one less joint that can leak. 😉

Filip