200tdi cylinder head

Whilst I understand that a cracked head is a cracked head, I have two 200tdi heads here both with small cracks between the injector and heater plug, nothing between the valves. I've been assured that they can be welded but by the man who's doing the job, is this viable or basically are they scrap. All the best

On the same subject of 200tdi cylinder heads does anyone know anything about HRC 2123, it's a part number for a cylinder head saying it's for a 200 but can't find bugger all about it, can anyone help

13 minutes ago, stevebus said:

On the same subject of 200tdi cylinder heads does anyone know anything about HRC 2123, it's a part number for a cylinder head saying it's for a 200 but can't find bugger all about it, can anyone help

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatter/150854-200tdi-cylinder-head-casting-revisions.html

This has some info

58 minutes ago, stevebus said:

it's not a partnumber , but a casting number , so no use finding the part (except if someone posted a picture were the casting number is visible)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevebus said:

200Tdi head part number for a Defender spec engine is RTC6896 taken from the 110 parts book on Retroanaconda.com 

On 3/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, western said:

200Tdi head part number for a Defender spec engine is RTC6896 taken from the 110 parts book on Retroanaconda.com 

Are the disco and defender spec 200tdi heads different in any way? I always considered them as interchangeable 

I don't know Monkie, but give me a week or so and I should be able to tell you, a mate of mine, "the pratt" just boiled his defender 200 he's on the case at the moment dismantling it between working and no workshop, when he's finally got it off he wanted to offer it up to one of mine to check, it does have the hrc2281 number on it so we're assuming it is

Tell you what I do know, which I think L19 brought up on a link he sent me is the hrc2123 water channels as opposed to the hrc2281 channels are to be honest alarmingly tiny, I bought a 2123 head today of a fella, no cracks anywhere but I compared it with the two 2281 heads I have and your talking maybe a 10mm hole on the 2281 and a 3mm hole on the 2123 head, and also a lot of corrosion and pitting around the 3mm hole I'm assuming where the gasket had the 10mm hole, I'm lucky in geography I'm close to Turner engineering so sometime next week they are going to get an hour of me if she doesn't tell me to F&€× off in the meantime,  all the best guys, have good weekend 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, western said:

Can't see any reason why the Disco & Defender 2000Tdi heads should be different, it's the main folds, turbo, injection pump & injectors that make them different for each vehicle. 

That's what I had always assumed. It was just the talk of different numbers on here made me remember that I had a few gaskets left over in my 200tdi top end gasket set. This made me wonder of there are some subtle differences such as the thermostat housing maybe? 

17 hours ago, monkie said:

That's what I had always assumed. It was just the talk of different numbers on here made me remember that I had a few gaskets left over in my 200tdi top end gasket set. This made me wonder of there are some subtle differences such as the thermostat housing maybe? 

I don’t think so.  I have a Discovery engine (Defender manifolds) and it appears to have the same thermostat housing.  I think the temperature sender for the gauge may be the key - it’s in the thermostat housing on the Discovery engine, but I suspect it might be in the head of the Defender engine, like on the 12 and 19J.

Edit: the thermostat housing bottoms are different because of the differing water pump positions, but they should be interchangeable as they are bolted to the front of the head.  The top of the housing is the same between vehicles, differing only for the tappings if you have AC.

23 hours ago, monkie said:

Sorry I haven't got back sooner, I've been grafting today, there's a massive difference in the thermostat housing, same gasket face, and I did have a quick check and the 2281 one does fit, and if I look down the 3mm waterway holes I was on about it almost looks like they're only 5 to 6 mm deep and it seems like it might open up underneath, my trip to Turner's I'm going to ask if they cant be drilled out, (would also get rid of that horrible pitting I was on about) cos on the otherside they are 10mm holes, so somewhere in the casting they change diameter, I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them to you all, I'll keep you posted

I don't know how many of you were interested but here's those photos I promised, hopefully they are clear enough the cotton bud and sim card bit are just to put it all in to perspective and as you can see the thermostat housings are massively different 

20220322_070959.jpg

20220322_073331.jpg

20220322_071127.jpg

20220322_070700.jpg

• Like 1