Any interest in the new Ranger Raptor? |Off Topic|

Big fan of the out going model (and the Ranger in general). Bar the engine in the Raptor. The 2.0 litre bi-turbo is ok, but not for the price of the vehicle. Even more so as the regular US spec Ranger gets a 270hp 2.3 petrol engine.

Looks like Ford are addressing this with the new Ranger Raptor however. I believe the same 2.0 litre diesel will still be available, but so will a 392bhp* petrol twin turbo V6! 😇

2022-Ford-Ranger-Raptor-debuts-3-e164913

Very sadly I've heard that while Oz and the USA will get 392bhp. The UK one is destined for 284bhp... but the same engine. Hoping it is only electronically hobbled and not physical parts. That is a HUGE difference and rather disappointing.

Also rather sadly, I suspect it'll be way out of my price range. But I can always dream.... 😻

It really does appeal as an 'ideal' vehicle for me. I love American trucks and cars (hence the Camaro). Always wanted a Dodge Ram with a V10 or Cummins. The Ram TRX is also pretty darn cool and the F-150 Raptor. But if I'm honest, the full size pickups are really a tad too big for UK use. The Ranger on the other hand is not!

It comes with permanent 4wd, but has a 2wd Baja mode, locking diffs front and rear and a host of off road goodies to make it fast and capable everywhere, even on the tarmac.

I've really rather been fancying a supercharged Range Rover Sport, but the Ranger Raptor is just so much more me. More rugged, less luxury, more utility. Hopefully it actually makes it to the UK, although I shudder to think of pricing or how few they will probably sell here.

47 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Big fan of the out going model (and the Ranger in general). Bar the engine in the Raptor. The 2.0 litre bi-turbo is ok, but not for the price of the vehicle. Even more so as the regular US spec Ranger gets a 270hp 2.3 petrol engine.

Looks like Ford are addressing this with the new Ranger Raptor however. I believe the same 2.0 litre diesel will still be available, but so will a 392bhp* petrol twin turbo V6! 😇

2022-Ford-Ranger-Raptor-debuts-3-e164913

Very sadly I've heard that while Oz and the USA will get 392bhp. The UK one is destined for 284bhp... but the same engine. Hoping it is only electronically hobbled and not physical parts. That is a HUGE difference and rather disappointing.

Also rather sadly, I suspect it'll be way out of my price range. But I can always dream.... 😻

It really does appeal as an 'ideal' vehicle for me. I love American trucks and cars (hence the Camaro). Always wanted a Dodge Ram with a V10 or Cummins. The Ram TRX is also pretty darn cool and the F-150 Raptor. But if I'm honest, the full size pickups are really a tad too big for UK use. The Ranger on the other hand is not!

It comes with permanent 4wd, but has a 2wd Baja mode, locking diffs front and rear and a host of off road goodies to make it fast and capable everywhere, even on the tarmac.

I've really rather been fancying a supercharged Range Rover Sport, but the Ranger Raptor is just so much more me. More rugged, less luxury, more utility. Hopefully it actually makes it to the UK, although I shudder to think of pricing or how few they will probably sell here.

I have wanted an F150 for years. Got close to pressing the button on a 67 plate platinum last year but the size ultimately put me off.

When the first Ranger Raptor came out I was excited....until I found out it could tow no more than a Freelander! If this one tows 3500kg then I could possibly be tempted away from another Range Rover. Will be nice to see one in the flesh.

Pity they don't do a proper sized diesel 

3 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

locking diffs front and rear

How's the suspension setup? People used to rant and rave about the G Wagon having them as standard but whilst it was nice handling on the road that was because it had very stiff suspension which shafted it off road. So the locking duffs were a necessity to give it some off road ability. Whilst a Defender / RR / Discovery would never really compete on the road there's very little that'll compete off road in standard form (of that era).

I might be in the rarity but I genuinely use the off road abilities of both my L322 and Defender on a weekly if not daily basis. Every time I've tried out a pickup I find they're next to useless in both turning circle and unless they've got some weight in the back fairly useless off road too.

Like @L19MUD I'm always a little disappointed in a pickups practical uses. No secure storage, if you do make it secure you lose the convenience of a big load bed. Coupled with most having lower towing capacities and usually naff all in terms of payload. The local builders merchant commented a few months ago I'm the only one who's turned up recently with a pickup that's legal to carry a wet bulk bag of sand (but then that was in the Sandringham).