LED headlights

1 hour ago, TrevD said:

I have these on my Defender 110, passed the MOT with them on just a couple of months ago, so they must be fine.

Not really. Could be your MoT tester didn’t care or notice. Plus Construction & Use Regs would trump an MoT. 

That said, so long as they don’t blind people with poor beam cutoff. It probably isn’t the end of the World. 

I'm using Philips Ultinon H4 LED bulbs in wipac crystal bowls - fantastic bulbs - literally night & day compared to the old halogens and gives a perfect spread and cuts the light off at the right height so you don't dazzle oncoming cars.  Much prefer the look compared to the LED units as well.   Nothing was said at last MoT. 

There are cheaper bulbs available but some seem to have issues with dazzle, poor beam pattern.

9 hours ago, Eightpot said:

I'm using Philips Ultinon H4 LED bulbs in wipac crystal bowls - fantastic bulbs - literally night & day compared to the old halogens and gives a perfect spread and cuts the light off at the right height so you don't dazzle oncoming cars.  Much prefer the look compared to the LED units as well.   Nothing was said at last MoT. 

This conversion looks to be legal in the EU and might be implemented here in Sweden. This summer I did do this conversion on her daily driver ( Duster ) and there is an improvement but the only thing that concerns me is the lack of heat in the winter. ( I'm watching and waiting for any comments from her or I notice ice/snow buildup, then they will be removed for a few months. )

IMG_20221119_185033_118.thumb.jpg.acaa4334ad751ef0e569d702f14cd170.jpg

Like the 7" LED headlights on the landy, they produce no heat and freeze up quickly. I know this from using 2 different versions of LED headlights from Trucklite, therefore I remove them during the winter so that I don't lose visibility on the highway. 

Todd.

11 hours ago, Eightpot said:

There are cheaper bulbs available but some seem to have issues with dazzle, poor beam pattern.

What year is your vehicle?

If you present with LED bulbs in halogen reflectors, it's a straight fail on post 86 vehicles and on pre 86 only if the dip beam pattern is incorrect.

If you present with  replacement  LED headlights (complete units) the tester will just check the dip beam pattern, levelling devices and washers only need to work...If fitted, and then it's only if the vehicle is newer than 09 for the washers.

E marks etc are not part of the MOT although they are required under C&U regs, no one is checking for them though.

Put simply, dip beam patterns have to have a horizontal cut off, some early versions of LED units and some LED bulbs in halogen units will give completely round torch like beam, this is always going to fail.

17 hours ago, pat_pending said:

What year is your vehicle?

If you present with LED bulbs in halogen reflectors, it's a straight fail on post 86 vehicles and on pre 86 only if the dip beam pattern is incorrect.

If you present with  replacement  LED headlights (complete units) the tester will just check the dip beam pattern, levelling devices and washers only need to work...If fitted, and then it's only if the vehicle is newer than 09 for the washers.

E marks etc are not part of the MOT although they are required under C&U regs, no one is checking for them though.

The old halogens were so pathetic, bordering on dangerous as I live in a rural area with no street lighting.  The difference with the LED bulbs is so immense, both for being able to see stuff further away and wider illumination and also less strain on my eyes that I'm quite prepared to break a rule in the name of safety.     The lighting is now better than my wife's newish Tiguan, not just in brightness but also the way it's projected.

The beam on the Philips bulbs is very flat, and seems to work very well with the wipacs - You can see a very clear cut off line.  I understand a lot of the cheaper Led's don't have this. 

If an mot inspector fails it next year I'll take ten mins to swap the bulbs back before reverting.   

I fit the full led headlamp units to landies at work and just can't get on with the look of them

29 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

The old halogens were so pathetic, bordering on dangerous as I live in a rural area with no street lighting. 

I do not believe that at all. If your eyes are so bad that halogen lights make driving dangerous for you. You really ought not to be behind the wheel at all. 

30 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

also less strain on my eyes

This also is not really correct. The Phillips website claims 6500k which is a horrid cool white boarding on blue. Their linked docs even say the EU recognises 5500-6000k for cool white and that car makers are normally 5800k (in fact many are nearer to 5300k or 5000k with HID). So no idea why they then went with 6500k. 

A high Kelvin rating will often produce more lumens. But the blue light spectrum will also cause more eye strain. 

They also do not claim a CRI level. I’d guess somewhere in the 70 to 80 region. Halogen has a CRI (colour rendition index) of 100. 

Now I’m not knocking LED bulbs. But at the end of the day facts are facts. 

Phillips also claim 1000 lumen dip and 1500 lumen mainbeam for the LED bulbs. 

Yet the Phillips RacingVision GT200 halogen H4 bulbs are rated at 1000 lumen dip beam and 1650 lumens mainbeam, so the LED isn’t any brighter.

You also have to watch the bogus and marketing claims, eg

image.png.546714c23f3d10ae4c3f8d280867c64b.png

image.png.7b9a54816f501ade591a502ea5c47005.png

image.png.1d5952d9fe390457843e3c2b63fb8086.png

Funny how the halogen suddenly dramatically changes how it performs depending on which part of the Phillips website you look at 😂

Just trying to help people with lived information, not get into an argument.  Driving home for 20 Miles in winter along blacked out rural lanes with two feeble yellow lanterns in front gets tiring and uncomfortable.    Be nice if my eyeballs could get an upgrade too but I think it will cost more than the 45 quid I paid for the bulbs. 

3 hours ago, Eightpot said:

If an mot inspector fails it next year I'll take ten mins to swap the bulbs back before reverting. 

If you're post 86 then if the beam pattern is ok then the LEDs have probably not been noticed (or you have a tester that either doesn't care or know the reg's).

Interesting about the light output, I've got the wipac crystals with I think Ring xenon 150 bulbs (I've tried so many uprated bulbs between the 110 and the Freelander, I forget what's in what) and I'm very pleased, main beam is backed up with some ebay LED driving lamps which are superb.

On 8/13/2024 at 1:07 PM, Hawklord said:

They look very similar to the ORE ones (maybe they are the same) which I like as they are more in keeping with the vehicle.

7-bi-led-headlight-prime-drl-right-hand-drive-100x100.jpg

For remaining in keeping with the look of the vehicle, these look hard to beat! However, i have no idea if they are up to much!

https://www.banginheadlights.com/products/traditional-7-inch-led-headlight?variant=42493072834755

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, foggy3061 said:

For remaining in keeping with the look of the vehicle, these look hard to beat! However, i have no idea if they are up to much!

https://www.banginheadlights.com/products/traditional-7-inch-led-headlight?variant=42493072834755

They look very interesting on all counts. Might have to order some come payday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yes, please update. 

Sadly they don't give a lumens rating

They don’t. But in many ways that might be a good thing. One of my other hobbies is torches/flashlights. And sadly the lumen war has been raging out of control. But the best lights are often ones with lower lumen outputs. As some LED types can offer higher surface brightness and/or better kelvin and CRI ratings. Smaller LEDs also produce less lumens but often much higher lux numbers which can give much better performance overall when used with the correct optics. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

They don’t. But in many ways that might be a good thing. One of my other hobbies is torches/flashlights. And sadly the lumen war has been raging out of control. But the best lights are often ones with lower lumen outputs. As some LED types can offer higher surface brightness and/or better kelvin and CRI ratings. Smaller LEDs also produce less lumens but often much higher lux numbers which can give much better performance overall when used with the correct optics. 

Agreed, but is a handy guide, when missing it always feels suspicious! 

• Like 1