‘Projects’ spotted in Spain

Slowed and then stopped outside a village in southern Spain today for a closer look at a Defender visible from the road. Then I found three more including ‘one of ours’!

Two TD5s, a 300TDi I think and the 1991 90 direct from Withams.

They appear to have been there some time. It is a salvage or insurance yard I think.

E3A7472D-A33E-425B-B0AE-301E0065C702.jpeg

093610CA-A620-44C0-BCC4-CE22C44A29E9.jpeg

1B1FF1D3-0AA1-4796-A752-4878D9155C7E.jpeg

C5E67279-5DBF-4654-B89A-2D90564C9963.jpeg

Yes it’s complete as far as I could see and a quick glance underneath as it looked ok, got me wondering. Then I was dragged back down to earth.

The TD5 with orange doors has a shot chassis, at least the rear is.

The white TD5 dash clocks have been removed.

It’s amazing how many you see parked up. They aren’t all Santanas after all. 

I’m afraid I had to move on but I know where they are if anyone wants to follow-up.

Where we have been, the workers who are currently strimming the bush, woodlands, verges etc all drive 110 SW with very handy roof boxes to hold all the kit.

90DC03A4-0AD3-4284-9527-8354B74F15ED.thumb.jpeg.f5c17ae8b71b142239644aebe16a0e79.jpeg

• Like 2

If you think it’s a real possibility that it’s stolen, then there must be a way to find out. Is there any database of stolen vehicles based on the reg plate? Other than the obvious one of course. 

18 hours ago, Peaklander said:

If you think it’s a real possibility that it’s stolen, then there must be a way to find out. Is there any database of stolen vehicles based on the reg plate? Other than the obvious one of course. 

The database of "vehicles of interest" does not have it flagged, so it is not on any insurance company database as stolen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many of the UK Defenders you see on the Instagram accounts of US outfitters have no export marker (including my old one!). I think it's either laziness, ignorance or arrogance. If you watch the YT videos of those who scour the UK hoovering up Defenders, you'll see how gung ho it can be

It's called bad administration....

Exportdocuments for cars should - at least before Brexit - include the VIN # and this is linked to ICARUS - the EU car system. Export declatation usu. means vehicle flagged as exported. Inside the EU it didn't work (there is no "export declaration" inside the EU) but some national "DVLA" databases were linked and getting a FR plate for a Dutch car usu. means 5 days later the car is flagged as exported in NL.

But as we all know, things do not always go as they should.