Front Axle

So...on top of the fuel tank issue...The garage have now told me that the bolts holding the calipers on are stripped and they can;t get them out without possibly many many hours work. Either I pay a few hundred quid for labour for them to be rebuilt (one of the hub seals is leaking onto the brake disk too so it needs doing!) or I get a new front axle (£300 from a 1998 110) and they fit that.

How easy is the fitting of an axle? Could I do it with some help?

I suspect that they mean that the bolt heads are rounded off (very common if someone doesn't use the right size socket!).

I would have thought that a decent vehicle mechanic could remove them for less than £300!

Changing an axle is relatively easy, just heavy.

Regards,

Diff

Guest diesel_jim
Anyone local to GL20 who knows what they''re doing and fancies helping for a couple of beers?

Give Bryn Hemming a shout, he's in Tewkesbury, he does all manner of 4x4 repairs...

07973 416327 or email

With enough care you should be able drill out the two bolts. They are very tight and tucked away - especially the top one (you would have to remove the spring and shock to gain better access to it). I would be tempted to split the caliper and do the job that way if necessary. Replacing the whole axle is a bit drastic.

Les. :)

James,

first thing - get the bolts on order from somewhere, I had a rounded off one and it took about 2 weeks to get spares.

You can try the idea of hammering on a slightly smaller socket I managed to get mine out that way. It it has been locktighted (as it probably has been) then I think heat would help to undo it a lot, though I think brake fluid is a bit flammable so you need to be careful.

Failing that the link to the machine mart doofers is a good buy, you will find loads of other uses for them on the landy :)

If you need a hand give me a PM, I work in Malvern during the week and twiddle my thumbs of an evening with F all to do. I would probably be able to get down, I don't carry many tools in the disco, but can bring mig up etc if you wanted as I go between here and home each week.

on mine i needed a special socket to remove the caliper bolts.

have you asked the garage if they used one? if you try it with an ordinary hex socket you will round them off.

they are the same sockets used to remove head bolts off k series engines.

300 quid by the way for a front axle is stupid money , keep an eye on e bay , ive seen em go for less than 50.

good luck.

The 'special' socket is simply a 12 sided socket rather than a 6 sided one.

probably why the bolts rounded off.

this is the socket you are supposed to use.

its a female torx socket.

the bolts are torqued quite tight 88 - 111 lbf ft so your just chancing it without the correct socket.

like i said , i dont know about yours but even looking at the bolts on mine would tell you not to try a normal socket on there, 6 or 12 sided.

perhaps im just too far over the 'if your going to do something , do it right' fence. :P

post-2379-1169723202_thumb.jpg

It is worth noting that the MAJORITY of caliper bolts fitted to the coil sprung Landies are the 12 pointed variety and require a standard 12 point socket to undo them.

HOWEVER, some owners have found that they have standard six point bolt heads, and as has been pointed out by Nobber, that his had TORX head bolts fitted.

So, it is important to physically check what type is fitted, and use the correct tool as appropriate.

Regards,

Diff

Absolutely, look at what bolt head you have and use the correct tool. I was refering to the 12 pointed sockets as these are the only type of caliper bolts I have come across on LR's. Worth knowing that some use torx fitting though.

mine were and are 12 pters, I put 4 new ones in, needed at least 2 but the panic feeling when I had problems was enoguht to convince me they are good things to replace. Pricey though, I paid about £4 a bolt IIRC.

I might have some in the back of the 90 as spare, I think I got extra because of the pain that it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the ratchet handle broke off when I used one of these

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...ets/brand/irwin

- the bolts aren't budging. The calipers are rusted to buggery anyway by the looks of things so I think I'm best just replacing the axle.

Equicar can do me an axle for £250 delivered. Otherwise will keep an eye out on eBay - there's a few around at the moment. Delivery is the issue though!

Bought a complete 110 axle the othere week with virtually new discs and pads for £50.00 had to help take it off but for £250.00 I would want a virtually new one with a guarantee ! My mate will be breaking and early tdi fairly soon and I am sure he will sell the axle for a lot less than £250.00.