Hydraulic winch - first test - rope slipping

henk

14 hours ago, muddy said:

Spool the maximum amount of safe cable out and paint it a bright colour when visible from the drivers seat?

I have used that solution and it does work to some extent, but at night and in water/mud the cable seem to disapear from visual contact 🙂

Maybe I just need to train my codrivers (my father or brocher in law) a bit more...as if that is possible 🤣

On a more serious note, I was actually looking at a reversing camera the other day and thought, hmm... do you think I will be able to look ahead/on the winch drum aswell as backwards? 🤔🙃

/mads

20 minutes ago, toenden said:

I was actually looking at a reversing camera the other day and thought, hmm... do you think I will be able to look ahead/on the winch drum aswell as backwards?

That's been done before as well, works, as long as not covered in mud.

a lot of the winches at work have a machined groove in one side of the drum which the rope sits in and is captive for one complete turn until the second turn comes along encapsulating it. It doesn’t come out. we once hoisted down so far that down became up while testing with no consequences

one of the old old old winches we had(possibly liebherr or Wolff) had 2 holes in the drum face, very close to the edge. You fed the rope in, fed your 3 turns on and passed it out your second hole essentially giving you a plasma lock built into the drum. 

you really don’t want to be introducing too much into a drum with a steel rope, it’s very unforgiving. Keep it metal, keep it smooth. 

as for a light on a dash….you can get rotary limit switches which have adjustable cams in them so you could set it to 100%in, 100%out 90%in 90% out if you so pleased 

im trying to find photos to better explain but the ones I have don’t really show anything

• Like 2

So installed the plasma-lock like explained on some videos on youtube but was not really convinced or maybe I did not installed it firm enough on the drum.

Next try I made an eye at the end of the rope that I fitted to the drum with a bigger bolt as Daan suggested and together with the plasma-lock this seems to work fine.

A positive point of the plasma-lock is that it prevents you from unwinding too much rope from the drum.

• Like 2